Subway pre- and during modernisation - in colour!

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Apologies for the size

Postby james73 » Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:07 pm

James H
He's over there...
james73
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby kn0wledge » Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:08 pm

When I was in Italy I never once saw a subway station without doors or gates of some description to keep people back from the tracks. I thought it was a thoroughly good idea.
Eat a ham for Jesus.
kn0wledge
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby james73 » Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:10 pm

kn0wledge wrote:When I was in Italy I never once saw a subway station without doors or gates of some description to keep people back from the tracks. I thought it was a thoroughly good idea.

Driver has to stop at precisely the right place. Problem is, the Glasgow
Underground has lots of women drivers.......

:wink:

James H
He's over there...
james73
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby kn0wledge » Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:11 pm

Hahah, so true..
Eat a ham for Jesus.
kn0wledge
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Ronnie » Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:13 pm

As far as I remember, the Bridge Street subway station entrance was on Bridge Street, with a "pend" into the ticket office, then stairs down to where the old map showed the platforms were. For many years, I went home from school using this station two or three times a week.

Also (and this is not from meomory!) surely the trackbed of the original railway that stopped at the first Central Station in Bridge Street was at first floor tenement height. And all the tracks were west of the station building. So anyone in the current tenement would only have shops or station booking and other orrices below them.

So I'm not sure what the trapdoor could have looked down on.

(Just a thought for the moderators, and not getting at anybody here, but if we're trying to have a more professional web site, should we really be "publishing" other people's work with out their permission?)
upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart
Ronnie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby rosco » Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:38 pm

Ronnie wrote:(Just a thought for the moderators, and not getting at anybody here, but if we're trying to have a more professional web site, should we really be "publishing" other people's work with out their permission?)

Image leeching is generally frowned on in most other forums I tend to frequent. Unless you've uploaded them to your own space or Imageshack or something similar, best just to use a link. That's my 2p on it anyway.

crusty_bint wrote:I think you should do some renderings Rosco :wink:

It had crossed my mind you know. :)

Unless they actually considered doing it up, I probably wouldn't bother unless I had more time on my hands, or the Hidden Glasgow Regeneration Association paid me to do it. :P

Oh and another thing would be to actually have working ticket vending machines in the stations for a change. :roll:
Always looking up...
rosco
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby gap74 » Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:53 pm

An ethical minefield indeed...

I don't want anyone thinking that I never gave the issue a moment's thought before submitting these pics, and the pics I put in the "Glasgow pre-1980s Colour" thread. That I thought a lot of people who read this forum would find them interesting wasn't enough of a justification, so I also figured that I would attempt to make it beneficial to the authors and publishers by giving full details of where to buy the books, and urging everyone who enjoyed them to go out and snap them up!

In all the cases, I've only ever scanned a fraction of the pics from any one publication, and offered the results as a sampler, so to speak. "If you like these, you'll find more in the book" is what I guess I was saying.

This forum is the ideal place in which to market these kind of books, and to bring them to the attention of people who would buy them if they knew they existed! And it certainly seems to have worked, if the respondants who have said they will buy them did!

To simply have said that there's a new book out with great subway pics from before modernisation would not, I think, have sent anyone scurrying to Waterstones with a handful of crisp tenners.

My apologies if people find this unethical - if enough people think this way, I'll very gladly remove them. But I should point out that at no point have I ever claimed that the pics were my own, and I have always given full credit where I've submitted pics that weren't mine. This, together with the (hopefully!) increased sales of these publications as a result of posting samples here is, I hope, a reasonable enough justification to overcome any dodgy moral and legal issues!

Gary
gap74
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby rosco » Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:56 pm

gap74 wrote:An ethical minefield indeed...

I think if it's images you've scanned, as long as they're credited, which you've done, you'll be fine, or only get asked to remove them if not.

I was only referring to linking to images on other websites.

Keep the photos coming, as far as I'm concerned :)

And, looks like somebody's thought of doing up the underground before:

http://hometown.aol.co.uk/flyingscotno1/BVE.html

Not sure this is pretty or practical enough...
Always looking up...
rosco
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Ronnie » Thu Aug 05, 2004 12:36 pm

Thanks for all your thoughts on "publishing" other people's work here. I was thinking more about what visitors to the site would feel if they saw a copyright free for all - would they think the site was a serious place to discuss Glasgow and associated subjects? I'm thinking that if the site was a bit more sober it might help us get access to locked buildings and sites.

It might be a good idea if the forums had a line saying something like:

"All posts are the work and responsibility of the authors. All authors represent that their posts are their own work and do not contain copyright images unless the author is the holder of the copyright. Should anyone wish to assert rights under copyright legislation or any other applicable law, contact the webmaster and the post will be removed."

I think this will help protect the reputation of the site.

(Another thing that would help is banning all these boredom threads ::): )
upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart
Ronnie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby rosco » Thu Aug 05, 2004 12:59 pm

Ronnie wrote:It might be a good idea if the forums had a line saying something like:

A good idea, that. On the other hand, I think if people posted a small enough sample of scans advertising publications of note, small enough to enourage buying it as this thread already has for a few of us, there shouldn't be too many problems with copyright infringement. After all, there are quite a few hidden gems out there that wouldn't get much advertising coverage elsewhere.

Maybe a section of the site or a subforum devoted to a bibliography of books of note would be a worthwhile idea, wherein we can deposit a few representative images to get people interested, and would be a more 'professional' approach. After all, we have a pretty comprehensive links page for web resources, why not have the same for 'traditional' media?
Always looking up...
rosco
First Stripe
First Stripe

Bridge St Train Station

Postby crusty_bint » Sat Aug 07, 2004 11:16 am

The first station to stand in Bridge St was a temporary wooden (stilted) structure erected in 1839 for the opening of the Glasgow and Paisly Joint Railway. This was replaced by a more substantial station betwenn 1840-41 as can be seen below.

Annan view, 1870

From Virtual Mitchell record #C217, C. 1870

Again from Virtual Mitchell record#C218, C. 1870. This view shows the platforms and canopies from the train sheds immediately west of the Nelson St section of the viaduct.

This structure was superceded in 1892 by a new building at nubers 36-54 (?) BridgeSt. You can see a small portion of it in this pic from 1925. Note the train hard up against the viaduct as it passes into the platforms of the station. The building in the foreground still survives as the Laurieston Pub.
(taken from Eric Eunsons Illustrated History of the Gorbals)

Of the origanal station nothing survives. The porticoed entrance was demolished around 1950, and now all that remains of the block is the former Commercial Bank Building.

Also see this map of 1892 taken from NLS:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v116/crusty_bint/Arial%20shots/bridgestreet2.jpg
The red line shows the station of 1840-41, the purple line shows the building in question of 1892.

I wonder if anything really survives of the old station and its workings?

Crusty :D
here i go, it's coming for me through the trees
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby Fossil » Sat Aug 07, 2004 3:24 pm

8) research Crusty....

-Fossil-
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby duncan » Sat Aug 07, 2004 3:34 pm

rosco wrote:Maybe a section of the site or a subforum devoted to a bibliography of books of note would be a worthwhile idea, wherein we can deposit a few representative images to get people interested, and would be a more 'professional' approach. After all, we have a pretty comprehensive links page for web resources, why not have the same for 'traditional' media?

you mean like this?
http://www.hiddenglasgow.com/books/

although it could do with beefing up a bit
duncan
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby rosco » Sat Aug 07, 2004 3:48 pm

duncan wrote:you mean like this?
http://www.hiddenglasgow.com/books/

although it could do with beefing up a bit

Bit of a distraction to the thread topic but yes, something like that, although as a subforum so we can update it ourselves. Takes a wee bit of work off our hardpressed admins :)
Always looking up...
rosco
First Stripe
First Stripe

Re: Bridge St Train Station

Postby JamesMc » Sat Aug 07, 2004 4:54 pm

crusty_bint wrote:
This structure was superceded in 1892 by a new building at nubers 36-54 (?) BridgeSt. You can see a small portion of it in this pic from 1925. Note the train hard up against the viaduct as it passes into the platforms of the station. The building in the foreground still survives as the Laurieston Pub.

Crusty :D

See my post on this past present thread for a comparison with today.
http://www.hiddenglasgow.com/forums/vie ... c&start=80

James.
I see dead buildings...
JamesMc
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects