Old house in Cranhill

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Old house in Cranhill

Postby hopalong » Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:20 pm

Not sure if this is the right section. When I was growing up in Crowlin Cres. Cranhill, there as an old house just of the Edinburgh Rd. What was this house?
hopalong
Just settling in
Just settling in

Re: Old house in Cranhill

Postby Glesga_Steve » Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:24 pm

It's not clear where you're talking about other than that it is in the general vicinity of Crowlin Crescent so I'll take a guess and say you are referring to what seems to be an old farm house...

There is a group of buildings (looks like a farm house and associated structures judging by their layout) called 'Harehouse' on the 1864 OS plan (look towards the top of the plan, left of centre) and they are still shown (situated between Edinburgh Road and Crowlin Crescent) on OS plans from the inter-war years (go to old-maps.co.uk; search for Cranhill; pick the Lanarkshire one; go to map 11 of 12; zoom in to the north-east of Lightburn Hospital).

By my reckoning, the group of buildings would have been located just south of the eastern of the two Crowlin Cres/Gantock Cres junctions (i.e. between the junction and Edinburgh Road) - click here to see where I mean on Google Street View.

Alternatively, you could be referring to a building called 'Betrohill', which was located on the north-west side of the Edinburgh Road/Stepps Road junction. The nursing home is now located on this land, which was formerly the site of the Phoenix Bar (not 100% sure that was the name of the pub).
Glesga_Steve
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Old house in Cranhill

Postby Fat Cat » Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:55 pm

Glesga_Steve wrote:It's not clear where you're talking about other than that it is in the general vicinity of Crowlin Crescent so I'll take a guess and say you are referring to what seems to be an old farm house...

There is a group of buildings (looks like a farm house and associated structures judging by their layout) called 'Harehouse' on the 1864 OS plan (look towards the top of the plan, left of centre) and they are still shown (situated between Edinburgh Road and Crowlin Crescent) on OS plans from the inter-war years (go to old-maps.co.uk; search for Cranhill; pick the Lanarkshire one; go to map 11 of 12; zoom in to the north-east of Lightburn Hospital).

By my reckoning, the group of buildings would have been located just south of the eastern of the two Crowlin Cres/Gantock Cres junctions (i.e. between the junction and Edinburgh Road) - click here to see where I mean on Google Street View.

Alternatively, you could be referring to a building called 'Betrohill', which was located on the north-west side of the Edinburgh Road/Stepps Road junction. The nursing home is now located on this land, which was formerly the site of the Phoenix Bar (not 100% sure that was the name of the pub).

It was indeed the Phoenix Bar, before that the Stepps Hotel - you can still see the original stairs and gate outside on Edinburgh Road it's under a lot of rubbish that's been dumped.. It would be interesting to know what time period the OP is talking about.
Fat Cat
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects