Cathkin Park

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Cathkin Park

Postby dapper productions » Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:36 pm

Im trying to repair the remaining pitch wall and terraces at Cathkin and wondered if anyone has any photos of the ground as it was pre 1967? Or from 1967 - 1980s when the stand and pavilion were torn down?
dapper productions
Just settling in
Just settling in

Re: Cathkin Park

Postby Josef » Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:59 pm

Schiehallion of this Parish has a photo of a Thirds v Aberdeen game there, although it's no longer on the board.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby applemaca » Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:03 am

Hope these help.

applemaca
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby BrigitDoon » Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:07 pm

Is that the Basil Spence building in the background?
UXB
BrigitDoon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby banjo » Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:15 pm

cathkin park is my spiritual home,cmon the hi hi.get a hold of the book ,still seeing red.
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:47 pm

Thanks, applemaca. Never seen them before.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby aland » Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:55 am

that stand must have been one of the shortest lived in scottish football, it was built late 50's to replace the old barrel roof design that (I might be wrong here) caught fire, so only in use for I reckon 10 years max. one of the reasons for thirds going bust was the cost of building the thing

it would be great to see cathkin used for league football again but the costs must be so prohibitive especially post taylor report. it was a classic ground far better than the bill barr identikit grounds of today
aland
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Josef » Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:01 pm

aland wrote:that stand must have been one of the shortest lived in scottish football, it was built late 50's to replace the old barrel roof design that (I might be wrong here) caught fire, so only in use for I reckon 10 years max. one of the reasons for thirds going bust was the cost of building the thing

it would be great to see cathkin used for league football again but the costs must be so prohibitive especially post taylor report. it was a classic ground far better than the bill barr identikit grounds of today

I love the wee house, à la Airdrie's old Broomfield stadium.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby dapper productions » Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:08 pm

thanks folks. yip, the wee players pavilion was the original from the hampden days. there is one left in britain at craven cottage, fulham's ground.
dapper productions
Just settling in
Just settling in

Third Lanark petition

Postby third lanark » Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:53 pm

Hi guys,
I am sure many of you have heard of the grand Old Glasgow football team of Third Lanark. Resurrected at Amateur Level in 2003 they have recently expanded to encompass a youth system at different youth levels with further expansion next year. One of their youth teams actually won 10 nil yesterday. They have also set up a Third Lanark goalkeeping Academy.

A petition has been set up to back their bid for Cathkin Park. Please sign up and support their bid at:
http://www.petitionbuzz.com/petitions/3 ... athkinpark

Thank you for taking the time to read this and for your support.
third lanark
Just settling in
Just settling in

Re: Third Lanark petition

Postby Josef » Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:34 pm

third lanark wrote:A petition has been set up to back their bid for Cathkin Park. Please sign up and support their bid at:

The THIRD LANARK ATHLETIC CLUB are back ! We are preparing our proposal to hand in to Glasgow City Council for the long term lease of our old home ground, the atmospheric and magical Cathkin Park. This was out ground from 1903 - 1967 and was formerly the 2nd Hampden Park when Queens Park opened it in 1884. Please sign our petition if you would like to see our 95 year old 'new' football club return to our spiritual home and to play senior football again. We plan to rebuild the old players pavilion building exactly as it was and erect a new main stand in keeping with the original destroyed by fire in the late 1970s. We are already restoring the crumbling terracing and repainting the pitch wall and this old ground is slowly coming back to life. We need the public's support !! Thank you for your time.

Rebuilding the old pavilion! Brilliant.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby BrigitDoon » Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:08 pm

Duly signed.
UXB
BrigitDoon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby banjo » Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:32 pm

it is your duty good people.......still seeing red.
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Third Lanark petition

Postby tobester » Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:41 pm

third lanark wrote:Hi guys,
I am sure many of you have heard of the grand Old Glasgow football team of Third Lanark. Resurrected at Amateur Level in 2003 they have recently expanded to encompass a youth system at different youth levels with further expansion next year. One of their youth teams actually won 10 nil yesterday. They have also set up a Third Lanark goalkeeping Academy.

A petition has been set up to back their bid for Cathkin Park. Please sign up and support their bid at:

Thank you for taking the time to read this and for your support.

Signed...Are you the same third lanark from wearethistle?
tobester
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:38 am

Come on, you Thirds lot. Gonnae actually get involved and post some information on here, rather than just being, effectively, local spammers?

I'm genuinely interested in this. I might even start going to football matches for the first time in a very long time indeed if you get this Cathkin Park thing off the ground. So to speak.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Next

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects