20th Century Architecture in Glasgow's East End.

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

20th Century Architecture in Glasgow's East End.

Postby johnnyanglia » Tue Jul 27, 2004 9:05 pm

Hi, I am just about to start my dissertation which will be about the "Forgotten buildings of Glasgow's East End". I am interested in buildings built in the then contemporary stylebetween the years 1900-1960. I have earmarked various buildings for further research. These include:

The Bellgrove Hotel(Which would be luxury flats if it was in the West End and not a dilapidated model).
Four in a block council house at the bottom of Cartyne Road. Flat roofed, severe right angles and no curves.
Quadrant of tenement housing in Carntyne in the Deco style.

Some of these buildings are a bit on the severe side and more than a little rundown. I believe however they are neglected gems worthy of preservation.

Can any HG forum users tell me anything about these buildings or suggest other East End buildings i may wish to investigate. Thanks in advance, Johnny.
johnnyanglia
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Gus » Tue Jul 27, 2004 10:28 pm

Didn't get round to post this 'til now ( when I remembered ) Driving through the Gallowgate the other day, noticed they ( faceless powers that be ) were tearing down the old cinema beside the Bellgrove Hotel. Can't remember its name, but sad to see it finally go....
Gus
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby DickyHart » Wed Jul 28, 2004 9:06 am

yes its a shame, another loss.
Is this gonna be a standup fight, sir, or another bughunt?
DickyHart
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Cinema

Postby gap74 » Wed Jul 28, 2004 9:09 am

The cinema now demolished next to the Bellgrove Hotel was The Orient. Pics of the cinema both before and during demoliton are on Gordon's site at:

http://www.chem.gla.ac.uk/~gbarr/cinema ... rient.html

As for the Bellgrove itself, it's a contemporary of the cinema, and has been a working man's hostel all its life. I believe it was designed by Charles McNair, who also designed a few cinemas of the time - the older part of the ABC is Sauchiehall St is his - and possibly the Ascot in Great Western Rd - I'll look up some more on the Bellgrove tonight and report back tomorrow.

Gary
gap74
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fossil » Wed Jul 28, 2004 9:32 pm

You could try St Mary’s church hall. About to be transformed into flats I believe.
There’s a nice ex-co-op building just beside Tollcross park.
A house on London road and Fullerton road.
Glasgow zoo?
A John Brown building about to be cleared (got pictures).

Maybe we could meet up for a ramble around those “Hidden Areas”

-Fossil-
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby Fossil » Thu Jul 29, 2004 2:04 am

John brown & Son

Always like this building

pm me

-Fossil-
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby johnnyanglia » Thu Jul 29, 2004 10:00 pm

Thanks to everyone that replied it was most helpful and appreciated. Some of the buildings really interested me. I have always liked the building at the junction of Shettleston Rd and Old Shettleston Rd. Two more that sounded very interesting to me were St. Mary's Church Hall and the house at the junction of Fullerton Road and London Road. If anyone can tell me how to post pictures i will be happy to put online some of the photos i have already taken. :D
johnnyanglia
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects