When its gone its gone Archive

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby Apollo » Fri Dec 31, 2004 6:56 pm

See my earlier pic, the pole in front of the the 'DISCOUNT FABRICS' sign has an application by the bank for demolition of a listed building tied to it. I guess in Glasgow that means it will be demolished :(
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Fri Dec 31, 2004 9:34 pm

This tenement was ear-marked for demolition a while back. Details of the new development can be found >here< on SkyScraperCity.

Crusty
Last edited by crusty_bint on Mon Jan 03, 2005 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
here i go, it's coming for me through the trees
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby Apollo » Mon Jan 03, 2005 9:33 pm

Before: see above.

After: see below

Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Targer » Mon Jan 03, 2005 11:16 pm

Apollo's photo above, among the rubble there is a"Facade Retention" of either a gateway or entrance way. That is a fairly solid support system for the facade. Does anyone know what the intended plans are for the add on to the facade.
Targer
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Tue Jan 04, 2005 12:03 am

Targer.... aherm,

crusty_bint wrote:This tenement was ear-marked for demolition a while back. Details of the new development can be found >here< on SkyScraperCity.

Crusty

Crusty
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby Targer » Tue Jan 04, 2005 1:25 am

Yes, I do see the gateway facade inserted midway in the development. It represents only a very small persentage of what looks to be a fair sized development. Its retention must have been firmly required in the contract. So in a way its probably good that some portion of the old building was retained unlike that church on Pitt St that was quickly demolished to the ground.
Targer
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Apollo » Tue Jan 04, 2005 2:23 am

Beat me to it!

I was going to add that the visible supported gateway is blocking the view to a similar gateway that provided entrance to the cattle market in the next street, and this was retained and restored, complete with clock.

Oddly, it does not appear in the digitised reconstuction. It should appear in the open area where the 4 'cars' are parked in parallel.
Last edited by Apollo on Sat Feb 05, 2005 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

the bay horse...

Postby leper_2000 » Sat Feb 05, 2005 4:41 pm

it went on fire according to the delinquent who accosted me outside..
and now its dead and gone... wish id managed to get higher up, looked like there was some old advert on one of the walls inside but it was getting too dark by then anyway..
leper_2000
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby AMcD » Sun Feb 06, 2005 12:40 am

good photos leper_2000... i appreciate it. I can see that whole block going before the month is out.....
Allan
AMcD
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby leper_2000 » Sun Feb 06, 2005 4:14 pm

aye well.. u cant expect to put a stop to random acts of god such fires in this city... they just start so easily... i mean who would have thought a few cans of kerosene lying around would react to a match like that...its crazy. plus our friends in the council dont seem to like old pretty things. not that that place was particularly attractive. the site nearer buchannan street is already halfway to being demolished. one thing though. where does all the stuff go?maybe its time to get a job in demolition.. i mean think about all the cool stuff they must find.i wouldnt want to waste taxpayers money disposing of it...although then we get onto the point of who pays for it. it probably isnt even us anyway.
leper_2000
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby leper_2000 » Tue Feb 08, 2005 4:03 pm

by the way, more on the bay horse in this thread in the coffe lounge:
http://www.hiddenglasgow.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1717&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
leper_2000
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Apollo » Sat Mar 05, 2005 10:53 pm

Soon be nothing left to post, however this part of the Gallowgate is now nice and tidy, with no nasty building messing this part of it up any more.

I'm fairly impressed that the Watson's Butcher's Equipment Supplier next to the old bank building is still there and in business after the demise of the met market and abbatoir. Perhaps the pub on the corner is their saviour.

Didn't see the start of the incident, but witnessed a typical Glasgow ned 'Who, me?' moments before I took these pics. Who else would cut up a bus with a Panda car following them?

I spotted the car flying wide on the wrong side of the road as a bus pulled out to pass an obstruction. The Panda was so close, I couldn't see it for the bus, but the siren started and the guy just carried on, pulled up at Melbourne St (the cops sat behind him lights and siren off), turned right and carried on, until the cops chased him again and he pulled up. Long talking to and much paper eventually handed to him.
Last edited by Apollo on Mon Mar 07, 2005 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby duncan » Sun Mar 06, 2005 7:18 pm

did you mean to post 2 different pics there? the little story might make more sense with the illustration...
duncan
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Mon Mar 07, 2005 9:19 pm

Apollo wrote:I'm fairly impressed that the Watson's Butcher's Equipment Supplier next to the old bank building is still there and in business after the demise of the met market and abbatoir. Perhaps the pub on the corner is their saviour.

By the looks of the model, that'll all be gone soon. Such waste. Such disregard.
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby Apollo » Mon Mar 07, 2005 9:51 pm

Ta, pic fixed.

I agree, while you realistically can't keep everything, it is a pity when you know it's days are numbered.

Well, there is a little statue sitting all alone in Gaham Square that hints at the purpose the area once served. That'll be the lot after a while, bar a few pieces of retained fascade.

Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects