Forgotten Pubs & Clubs in Glasgow

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Forgotten Pubs & Clubs in Glasgow

Postby Fossil » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:12 pm

Mori wrote:
Bankie Boy wrote:In my day it was called Minsky's (1976 to 79 perhaps)


Aye thats it as i remeber Minskys, flared trousers and platform shoes, floory shirts and medalions hangin from hairy chests... 8)


and what wrong with wearing that type of clobber :D
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
User avatar
Fossil
-
-
 
Posts: 12310
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2004 12:07 am
Location: Pitt Street

Re: Forgotten Pubs & Clubs in Glasgow

Postby Mori » Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:29 am

and what wrong with wearing that type of clobber


Nothing at all thats the way i dress to this day. 8)

User avatar
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 3434
Joined: Wed May 04, 2005 1:05 pm
Location: Glasgow

Re: Forgotten Pubs & Clubs in Glasgow

Postby g51ran » Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:19 am

John wrote:Hi,my Grandfather Angus McBain Bought Mitre bar 1930 ,Tontine Lane,Brunswick Street.
Can anyone remember the names of any Glasgow pubs and club that's now demolished. I would also like to know where the pub was situated.

Cheers

g51ran
Just settling in
Just settling in
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:23 pm

Re: Forgotten Pubs & Clubs in Glasgow

Postby Mori » Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:47 pm

Swavy getting a new lease of life :D

Evening Times

Savoy’s stayin’ alive!

16 Nov 2010

A £250,000 makeover has breathed new life into a 1970s’ disco favourite.
Tamla Motown was on the turntables, entrance cost just 85p and the clientele was firmly in the over-20 age bracket.
Musical tastes may have moved on since then, and admission prices might have ballooned, but not everything has changed after more than three-and-a-half decades of Glasgow’s longest-enduring nightspot.
The Savoy disco, which opened in April 1975, claims to be the second-oldest nightclub in the UK to have had the same name since opening.
And it has entered its 36th year of existence with a £250,000 makeover – its first major refurbishment.

Image
Leopard skin-covered furniture was just groovy back in 1975 when the Savoy first opened
User avatar
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 3434
Joined: Wed May 04, 2005 1:05 pm
Location: Glasgow

Re: Forgotten Pubs & Club

Postby myfriendstan » Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:51 pm

Dexter St. Clair wrote:Welcome to Hidden Glasgow. More contributions please. I was in the Doune Castle once. Couldn't tell you the name of the band nor the brand of the beer. Lowenbrau was on draft in some Glasgow pubs. Holsten as well.



The Doune Castle sold Stella and played Flower of Scotland at closing time.

I fell asleep on the bench across the road one night and a guy I was at primary school recognised me and woke me up.
User avatar
myfriendstan
Second Stripe
Second Stripe
 
Posts: 189
Joined: Fri Oct 08, 2004 6:56 pm
Location: Glasgow

Re: Forgotten Pubs & Club

Postby RDR » Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:52 pm

myfriendstan wrote:
Dexter St. Clair wrote:Welcome to Hidden Glasgow. More contributions please. I was in the Doune Castle once. Couldn't tell you the name of the band nor the brand of the beer. Lowenbrau was on draft in some Glasgow pubs. Holsten as well.



The Doune Castle sold Stella and played Flower of Scotland at closing time.

I fell asleep on the bench across the road one night and a guy I was at primary school recognised me and woke me up.


The Doune Castle was originally the Woolworths store in Shawlands before they moved across the road into what was the then new shopping centre.
He advocated for the weak against the strong, the poor against the rich and labour against capital.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 1642
Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:58 pm
Location: Lanarkshire

georgic

Postby north glasgow dave » Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:52 am

when did the georgic get womens toilets installed..
north glasgow dave
Second Stripe
Second Stripe
 
Posts: 177
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:24 pm

Re: georgic

Postby RDR » Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:30 pm

north glasgow dave wrote:when did the georgic get womens toilets installed..


Good question. I used to drink in there, when I worked in that part of the city in the late 70's early 80's, when it didn't have any.
I seem to remember when they eventually were installed there was a whole load of articles about it, primarily in the Evening Times.
I might be wrong but weren't they eventually put in because a complaint was made and the licensing board threatened to take their license away if they didn't comply?
He advocated for the weak against the strong, the poor against the rich and labour against capital.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 1642
Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:58 pm
Location: Lanarkshire

Re: Forgotten Pubs & Clubs in Glasgow

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Sat Nov 20, 2010 6:03 pm

No.

The Georgic wished to sell food and thus required permission from the licensing board whom they knew would insist on a ladies toilet so one was installed.
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
User avatar
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 6252
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2004 9:54 pm

Re: Forgotten Pubs & Clubs in Glasgow

Postby Avenger » Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:08 pm

RDR wrote:
north glasgow dave wrote:when did the georgic get womens toilets installed..


Good question. I used to drink in there, when I worked in that part of the city in the late 70's early 80's, when it didn't have any.
I seem to remember when they eventually were installed there was a whole load of articles about it, primarily in the Evening Times.
I might be wrong but weren't they eventually put in because a complaint was made and the licensing board threatened to take their license away if they didn't comply?


Technically the toilets weren't installed in the pub.

I used to work in the Georgic, the story I was told was that there was a hairdressers (or similar premises) next door whose lease ran out or they went bust, anyway, the georgic had a toilet as did the hairdressers - problem solved, slap through doorway from the pub, convert hairdressers to lounge and assign hairdressers toilet as the ladies, timing was lucky as there was a change in social habits with more females in pubs, serving of food and the requirement for toilets for men and women hence things turned out quite nicely for them.

So the toilets were always there but were part of the premises next door.
User avatar
Avenger
Second Stripe
Second Stripe
 
Posts: 118
Joined: Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:01 pm

Re: Forgotten Pubs & Clubs in Glasgow

Postby HollowHorn » Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:10 am

See the things you learn on here? Magic. ::):
User avatar
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 8921
Joined: Mon May 23, 2005 9:59 pm
Location: Paisley

wow

Postby north glasgow dave » Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:32 am

so they owned the toilet next door...ah,m gonnae try that wi mah neighbour

where,s my sledgehammer ::):
north glasgow dave
Second Stripe
Second Stripe
 
Posts: 177
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:24 pm

Re: Forgotten Pubs & Clubs in Glasgow

Postby RDR » Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:06 pm

Avenger wrote:
RDR wrote:
north glasgow dave wrote:when did the georgic get womens toilets installed..


Good question. I used to drink in there, when I worked in that part of the city in the late 70's early 80's, when it didn't have any.
I seem to remember when they eventually were installed there was a whole load of articles about it, primarily in the Evening Times.
I might be wrong but weren't they eventually put in because a complaint was made and the licensing board threatened to take their license away if they didn't comply?


Technically the toilets weren't installed in the pub.

I used to work in the Georgic, the story I was told was that there was a hairdressers (or similar premises) next door whose lease ran out or they went bust, anyway, the georgic had a toilet as did the hairdressers - problem solved, slap through doorway from the pub, convert hairdressers to lounge and assign hairdressers toilet as the ladies, timing was lucky as there was a change in social habits with more females in pubs, serving of food and the requirement for toilets for men and women hence things turned out quite nicely for them.

So the toilets were always there but were part of the premises next door.


Now you mention that I do remember them taking over the shop next door but I thought that was just to put a lounge in, didn't know it was connected to the whole toilet situation!
He advocated for the weak against the strong, the poor against the rich and labour against capital.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 1642
Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:58 pm
Location: Lanarkshire

Re: Forgotten Pubs & Clubs in Glasgow

Postby banjo » Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:01 pm

can anyone tell me why the butty in drumchapel is called that.i know that when it was the hecla arms the locals always called it the butty but never knew why.
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 3426
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:26 pm

Re: Forgotten Pubs & Clubs in Glasgow

Postby Vinny the Mackem » Thu Nov 25, 2010 8:10 am

Is is sandwiched between two buildings?

Sorry! :D
User avatar
Vinny the Mackem
Second Stripe
Second Stripe
 
Posts: 399
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2005 11:11 pm
Location: Glasgow

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests