Re: Forgotten Pubs & Club

Postby aye69 » Fri May 21, 2010 10:07 am

now gone wish still there

aye69
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby John » Fri May 21, 2010 12:17 pm

Also missing the bandstand and the boat. The trees are coming on well though.

Nice past and present.
'It's a sad day for capitalism when a man can't fly a midget on a kite over Central Park'
John
-
-

Postby fiain » Tue May 25, 2010 11:35 pm

Was this place called Coconut Grove at one time?
fiain
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby disco79 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:27 pm

gigi's
Make it a double wrote:Trying to find out name of a disco that was in West George Street , somewhere between Waxy's and Queen Street Station. Think it became a garden centre type place . Building still there , you go up a couple of large / wide stone steps to enter front door. DJ at time was a guy called Martin Paul O'Reilly. Disco was over 2 or 3 floors. He played there round about 1980-1983. Only visited once , to an allday event - Just cannot rememer what the place was called. No joy on forum or google. Thanks.............
disco79
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby north glasgow dave » Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:16 am

disco79 wrote:gigi's
Make it a double wrote:Trying to find out name of a disco that was in West George Street , somewhere between Waxy's and Queen Street Station. Think it became a garden centre type place . Building still there , you go up a couple of large / wide stone steps to enter front door. DJ at time was a guy called Martin Paul O'Reilly. Disco was over 2 or 3 floors. He played there round about 1980-1983. Only visited once , to an allday event - Just cannot rememer what the place was called. No joy on forum or google. Thanks.............

wasnt it daddy warbuck,s

dave
north glasgow dave
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Shazbat » Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:43 am

Panama Jax:
I've just worked my way through the boxed set of Tutti Frutti, and the band play a gig in the venue. Complete with cut out banana/pineapple trees. It was a total nostalgia fix!
The series is great for spotting pubs and shops no longer on the streets of Glasgow, and some which have morphed into something else - Chimmy Chunga's for one.
There's a wee project for someone...
Shazbat
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby dazza » Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:36 pm

Shazbat wrote:Panama Jax:
I've just worked my way through the boxed set of Tutti Frutti, and the band play a gig in the venue. Complete with cut out banana/pineapple trees.

Which episode? I've been wondering which hospital was featured in the series (episode 3, I think). If it was filmed in Glasgow then I'd guess it was Canniesburn, but if it was filmed on location in Buckie then I have no idea.
dazza
-
-

Re: ultrateque disco in sauchiehall st early eighties?

Postby Fossil » Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:52 pm

Dexter St. Clair wrote:
thinktank24 wrote:In the early eighties i was at a televised music show in what i think was the ultrateque disco in Sauchiehall St. I remember a band called blancmange played 'living on the ceiling' but other than that i dont remember.

Thanks

The above is correct. Tik and Tok were also there.

aye me as well
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby AuldDoll » Sat Aug 28, 2010 3:32 pm

I just found this site and thought I might add my 2p worth. The club on the Clydeside near the Waterfront was called
Spanky's, named after Elvis' manager. It was opened about 1974 and you had to buy a ticket from Reid's Bar, Muscular arms and a few other pubs (something to do wi the licensing) Don't know what happened to it eventually.
Going back in time, there was The Cafe Club in Drumchapel and the Lyndella Jiving Club at the bottom of Union St near Boots (Dizzy Corner). Lulu and the Lovers played at both the above No wonder I am half Deif! There
was the Bagatelle and another club where I saw the Animals of Rising Sun fame.Then was the Barrowland on a
Saturday afternoon session.On Friday The Locarno for every drunk emptying fae the pubs. Half of them could hardly staun never mind Dance and that was the pay packet gone for the week. Midnight buses fae Georges Square or
queue for hours for a taxi. We also went to the Denniston Palais on a certain week night. There was also the Flamingo
somewhere in the Sou side where the locals were no too friendly! The Muscular Arms was a bit posey. Reid's was
good but the crowd a bit older. The Howff maybe on a Saturday afternoon and Joannas. I nearly forgot the
Maryland on Hill St near Charing Cross. It used to have a stage in the middle where lots of bands visited. That eventually was changed and no more bands. You needed danger money to go up and down Hill St in the winter, talk about a ski slope! The Square Peg in St Enoch's Squ was full of Castlemilk ppl as that was nearest to the Castlemilk bus.
Geez am auld and have given a pound's worth not 2p. p.s I know you Eddy:)
AuldDoll
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Sat Aug 28, 2010 6:46 pm

Thanks for the post> There's an awful lot to take in. And you'll find answers to some of your questions elsewhere on the forum. The Flamingo was in Paisley Road West and was a bingo hall for a good number of years before being demolished to make way for a supermarket in 2003.

The Maryland was near Hill Street but actually on Scott Street. Was that the Bagatelle in Dundas Street. Whereabouts in Dundas Street. Was it the Revolution at some time?

Any more on where you saw the Animals? And you've got me on Spanky's being named after Elvis's manager.

Welcome aboard.
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Sat Aug 28, 2010 6:49 pm

AuldDoll wrote:I just found this site and thought I might add my 2p worth. The club on the Clydeside near the Waterfront was called
Spanky's, named after Elvis' manager. It was opened about 1974 and you had to buy a ticket from Reid's Bar, Muscular arms and a few other pubs (something to do wi the licensing) Don't know what happened to it eventually.
Going back in time, there was The Cafe Club in Drumchapel and the Lyndella Jiving Club at the bottom of Union St near Boots (Dizzy Corner). Lulu and the Lovers played at both the above No wonder I am half Deif! There
was the Bagatelle and another club where I saw the Animals of Rising Sun fame.Then was the Barrowland on a
Saturday afternoon session.On Friday The Locarno for every drunk emptying fae the pubs. Half of them could hardly staun never mind Dance and that was the pay packet gone for the week. Midnight buses fae Georges Square or
queue for hours for a taxi. We also went to the Denniston Palais on a certain week night. There was also the Flamingo
somewhere in the Sou side where the locals were no too friendly! The Muscular Arms was a bit posey. Reid's was
good but the crowd a bit older. The Howff maybe on a Saturday afternoon and Joannas. I nearly forgot the
Maryland on Hill St near Charing Cross. It used to have a stage in the middle where lots of bands visited. That eventually was changed and no more bands. You needed danger money to go up and down Hill St in the winter, talk about a ski slope! The Square Peg in St Enoch's Squ was full of Castlemilk ppl as that was nearest to the Castlemilk bus.
Geez am auld and have given a pound's worth not 2p. p.s I know you Eddy:)

Ah, but you could get a new suit, a night at the dancing and a stone of monkey nuts for 2d in them days.

If you're talking about Joannas in Bath Street, btw, there're quite a few mentions of the place here or hereabouts. But if I remember correctly (Dex?), it was only lately called that.

Where on earth (specifically) was the club in Hill St?
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Sat Aug 28, 2010 6:50 pm

Damn. You're quick or dead in these parts.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Bridie » Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:28 am

AuldDoll wrote: The Muscular Arms was a bit posey... Image

The Howff maybe on a Saturday afternoon.....Image

you needed danger money to go up and down Hill St in the winter, talk about a ski slope! Image

Hello and Welcome AulDoll - we must have been kickin about at the same places once :wink:
Yes HH,I know
Bridie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Bridie » Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:30 am

Josef wrote:Where on earth (specifically) was the club in Hill St?

Was that not the Maryland ?........(the only other "club"was The Garnethill School for Young Ladies of Distinction) :wink:
Yes HH,I know
Bridie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:45 am

Josef wrote: .................

Where on earth (specifically) was the club in Hill St?

As I recall the entrance to the Maryland (which was previously Glasgow Arts lab) was where the entrance to CCA is now but they're on Scott Street, not Hill Street.

Edited to add. Later it became Maestros.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects