Glasgow’s Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Glasgow’s Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

Postby robertpool » Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:00 am

dimairt wrote:I found this during a desk-clearing frenzy and can't remember where it came from. For the hard of sight,like me, the posters are for "Folk Boat 70" with the Humblebums and a barbeque with Beggar's Opera and Pram - can't make out the venue for this one.

Le durachd,

Eddy

[url]Image[/url]

don't know where the venue is but the building is in Sauchiehall Street. The Glasgow and West of Scotland College of Domestic Science (Incorporated). The School's first premises were at 2 Dalhousie Street, in the Corporation Galleries' building. Later premises included 346 Sauchiehall Street and 1 Scott Street. Students were able to study and train for diplomas in cookery, housewifery and laundry, and for certificates for housewives, housekeepers and cooks
robertpool
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:15 am

As it's offering a barbecue I would take it this is an outdoor gig. Maybe a rugby club?
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby robertpool » Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:53 am

OK here we go with my contribution of Glasgow music venues & artists (well at least some of them, you know where to find the rest)

Greens Playhouse (later to become The Apollo)

a 1943 advert

1945 Joe Loss recorded live at Greens Playhouse

1956 Stan Kenton concert Ticket

The Apollo

1974 Golden Earring

1975 Sparks

1977 The Eagles

robertpool
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby robertpool » Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:07 pm

The Barrowland

Frankie Miller Tribute

Steve Vai

ABC, Sauchiehall Street

Tiffanys, Sauchiehall Street

King Tut's 15th Birthday

The Kelvin Hall

The Kinks recorded live

1976 Stomu Yamashta

SAHB American Promo Record

JSD Band

robertpool
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby robertpool » Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:27 pm

1960 Lonnie Donegan 'My Old Mans a Dustman'

1964 Lulu & The Luvers 'Shout'

1979 Sneeky Pete 'Night Time in the City' The McDonald bros, were'nt they great

1992 Jeff 'Trust in Me' I'm sure a lot of you will have seen Jeff in one pub or another. Rock classics covers

and finally

The SECC

having considered Bon Jovi, Kiss, Bob Dylan, Def Leppard and a few others tickets to show you from this great venue l thought who better to finish with than ME. Yes that's right, me; my one and only time on the stage was to take part in the Sight Savers 'Rock Against River Blindness' organized by Marshall Amplification in 1992. Like or lump it, here it is.

robertpool
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:14 pm

Check Felonious' comment here

You should sign up to Cat45 and contribute scans of your singles. Jeff and Sneaky Pete are missing from their database
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby robertpool » Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:33 pm

cat45?????

Bobby
robertpool
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:53 pm

45Cat is what i meant to type as in http://www.45cat.com/
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby spidermac » Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:53 am

do'es anyone remember a gig in Night Moves around 1982 with the Cartoons from Glasgow supporting Sofisticated BoomBoom. The only reason I ask is that I'm trying to get a hold of the single the Cartoons did a year earlier namely a cover of Roxy Music's Love is the drug so if any one was there or has a copy I'd be willing to pay for it ( so long as it's in good nick), and you would be willing to part with it. Cheers, as my old Da used to say "To you, to me, tomorrow" . Talk soon SpiderMac......
spidermac
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby spick1873 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:35 pm

spidermac wrote:do'es anyone remember a gig in Night Moves around 1982 with the Cartoons from Glasgow supporting Sofisticated BoomBoom. The only reason I ask is that I'm trying to get a hold of the single the Cartoons did a year earlier namely a cover of Roxy Music's Love is the drug so if any one was there or has a copy I'd be willing to pay for it ( so long as it's in good nick), and you would be willing to part with it. Cheers, as my old Da used to say "To you, to me, tomorrow" . Talk soon SpiderMac......

i have a copy of this single,you wouldn`t happen to be the singer on this record?
spick1873
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:16 am

This one

Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby spick1873 » Sat Dec 18, 2010 6:15 pm

Dexter St. Clair wrote:This one

what happened to spidermac the post above me ,where are you
spick1873
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:46 pm

Whilst looking for something else I stumbled upon Nick Simper's website

and a couple of Glasgow connections.

Freddie Mack and I think his earliest visit to Glasgow before he returned as Mr. Superbad and some memories about a week long pop event at the Kelvin Hall The one that produced the album Live at the Kelvin Hall

Joan had secured us (The Pirates) three days in Glasgow as part of a huge music extravaganza. The Kelvin Hall was one of Scotland’s landmark concert halls, also famous for staging high profile boxing matches. On the 24th, 25th and 27th of march we were to share the bill with several big acts, including Unit 4+2, Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick and TitcKelvin Hall Glasgow March 25th 1967h, Screaming Lord Sutch, and, surprise, surprise, The Mack Sound.

from a brilliant site for those interest in soul music in the UK.

California ballroom
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby PaulK » Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:43 am

Interesting although I think some of this might be made up.

At the end of a great evening, we all had a few drinks with Solly, plus a couple of other members of Freddy Mack’s band including Ged Peck, who had continued to impress me with his amazing speed and precise technique. As we said our farewells and made for the exit, Solly and I bumped into a couple of familiar figures in he form of two Glasgow lads who had also been working in Jersey in 1965. They had come to the show and were surprised to see us, and we reminisced for 15 minutes before leaving.

Tired but happy, I piloted the creaky old Austin van away from the Kelvin Hall. Mick and I were also rather hungry, so we asked the first pedestrian we saw, where we could eat. The man directed us to the clock tower in Sauchiehall Street, where we would find a pie stall. As we pulled up, it was obvious that John Kerrison and John Carroll were fast asleep, so Mick Stewart and I made our way through the crowd of rather dubious looking characters until we reached the stall. “Give us two pies with chips please guvnor” said Mick in his best West London accent. At that, the crowd fell silent in a manner reminiscent of the scene in a dozen cowboy movies where the bad guy enters the saloon. Suddenly a huge bearded man resplendent in a kilt, lurched forward, uttering the memorable phrase, “Yer f…ing English bastards!”. Sensing the ugly atmosphere I whispered in Mick’s ear, as loudly as I dared, “Run like hell!”. As we reached the van, which unhappily bore the legend Matador Car Hire, Hanwell, London, England, the two Johns awoke from their slumber to the sound of the rear windows shattering under a bombardment of various missiles! Somehow my shaking hand managed to get they key into the ignition, and we roared off at high speed, thankful that only the van was damaged.

On reaching our hotel, we discovered that it was next door to a hospital. A quick word with sympathetic night staff found us a parking space near the ambulances, safely out of sight of any marauding vandals who might take exception to the writing on the side. The following two shows at the Kelvin Hall passed successfully without incident. The pie stall attack had taken us completely by surprise. For years there had been rumours of Scotland being a no-go area for English bands, with several reports of experiences such as ours. I had always felt immune from that sort of thing, owing to the fact that Johnny Kidd and the Pirates had always been welcomed and respected everywhere, due in no small measure to their tough image, but, of course, the drunks at the pie stall had no idea of our identity. However, they were only a tiny minority, and we generally found the Scots to be warm and friendly folk. Our three shows had been well received, and we were pretty pleased with ourselves as we headed south for home.
PaulK
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Doorstop » Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:25 am

Last edited by Doorstop on Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I like him ... He says "Okie Dokie!"
Doorstop
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects