Lost record shops of Glasgow

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Lost record shops of Glasgow

Postby Mori » Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:54 pm

I just rememberd my dad used to sell LP records in the grocery shop he owned during the 70s/80s from a twirly stand, the rep used to come in every few weeks and update the stock, we got a fair trade from it as i recall, i remember selling this one i think it was a 12 " single or a usual LP.

Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:48 pm

moonbeam wrote:There used to be a record shop in that street at an angle that ran up from Queen Street Station to Buchanan St.
Dundas Place? Cant remember its name but I recall ordering records in it.

See previous page. Did you work there?
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:50 pm

Mori wrote:I just rememberd my dad used to sell LP records in the grocery shop he owned during the 70s/80s from a twirly stand, the rep used to come in every few weeks and update the stock, we got a fair trade from it as i recall, i remember selling this one i think it was a 12 " single or a usual LP.

I bought a Funkadelic album from a grocers in Broomhill. Warners must have dumped them somewhere.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby moonbeam » Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:56 pm

I worked in it for about 10 weekends on the Saturdays before Christmas around 1964 or so. Got paid I think about £5 ! Plus a sort of free record which was usually an LP the reps had dumped on them and nobody wanted! I dont think it was called Listen. I think it had another name. Used to buy lots of LPs from the basement shop in Bath Street. Almost under McCormacks. There used to be a radio shop opposite the Empire. Bought LPs in it in the late 1950s!
moonbeam
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Bridie » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:57 pm

macdonald wrote:
Josef wrote:I've never heard of a Virgin Records store in Glasgow prior to the Megastore in Union Street, but regardless, there wouldn't have been one in the sixties. The bearded crook's first shop was opened in 1971.

[Edit] Tell a lie. The ever informative Dexter has already mentioned it.

.... Big cushions in the window where you could listen to albums.

Thats where I sat with the smellies and trinkets ::):
Yes HH,I know
Bridie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Salka » Mon May 03, 2010 6:38 pm

Salka wrote:
Bridie wrote:So what indie shops are left in Glasgow?
good idea to sell second hand vinyls as well? I've came across some goodies in charity shops 8O

There's one on Byres Road that only sells vinyl, looks like it's recently opened but I don't know the name. Could be clearance from somewhere, not a clue.

I've since found out this place is called The Vinyl Hut.
Salka
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Bridie » Mon May 03, 2010 8:58 pm

It's good to see these shops but I like the unexpected bargain as well as the collectable. These type of shops especially in the WE know what they're selling your highly unlikely to pick up something interesting for a shiny penny :D
Yes HH,I know
Bridie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby moonbeam » Mon May 03, 2010 9:28 pm

I used to sell records at the Barras on Saturdays and Sundays in the mid 1960s. Mainly Scottish/ Irish/ Country & Western stuff. Thats what the punters bought. Plus pop records at 6d less than the normal price. LPs were 37/6d.
I used to buy records as well. There were guys who collected Frank Sinatra, Bing Crosby, Obscure Trad Jazz etc.
I used to get some US stuff from sailors at the Holy Loch. I still have a few of them. Records I wish I had kept: Really obscure:Johnny Cavello and the House Rockers on Coral, Tamla Motown stuff,Bill Haley and the Saddlemen,Jerry Lee Lewis on a Sun 45, I remember buying it for 10s off a Holy Loch contact and selling it for £2.10s to a Rock n Roll fanatic. Plus a lot of US R n B and soul stuff. I had a French guy who sold me a lot of Johny Haliday and Slyvia Vartan stuff which for some reason certain Uni students bought on Sunday mornings. Happy days.
moonbeam
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby myfriendstan » Tue May 04, 2010 12:35 am

I remember the NME did the "Best 100 Singles" in the eary 70's and I trawled the markets in the Barras for the ones I didn't have.
myfriendstan
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Bridie » Tue May 04, 2010 7:07 am

There's a record fair who tours around Ireland mainly C&W however I've managed to replenish some collectables in 60's/70's rock and psychedelic folk plus there's always the plethora of charity shops up every High St - one of my many pleasures as I meander into middle age.

Yes HH,I know
Bridie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby banjo » Tue May 04, 2010 9:01 am

i have a couple of shang ri las originals on the red bird label and they have the wee triangle in the centre,remember those.
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby moonbeam » Tue May 04, 2010 10:54 am

I still have 100s of 45s from the Barras days up the loft. There used to be people who tried to collect all the black label London American 45s from the late 50s to early 60s.Strangely I did quite a good trade in Classical LPS at the Barras. Not a market you might think off. But it was surprising just how popular some classical records were. I suspect quite a few of the schools had good music teachers at this time.As you would get kids in from say Whitehill looking at the classical LPs and saying School Orchestra played that. I still have a fair number.
moonbeam
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RootieB » Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:05 pm

Hi
I am doing some research into independent record shops of the 1960s and wondered if anyone could help me please? What did they look like, how were they run etc. How many booths were there? Did you play the record yourself or did someone in the store put it on for you? Anything and everything would be a great help!
Thanks
R
RootieB
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Bridie » Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:53 pm

Hello RootieB and Welcome to HG :D
In answer to your question I can give some details about the old Virgin record shop in Argyle Street ( I googled "old Virgin Argyle Street" for some pics - there was plenty but none of the old shop :wink: ::): )
It was one of these two shops or both ?

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&q=A ... ,8.96,,0,5

and it was an old shop that hadn't been in any way refurbished with the old full glass front (single) window and a narrow entrance and then through another door to the actual shop.
Smallish room with an old wooden counter to the back on which were cardboard boxes filled with vinyls. I don't remember the individual earphones for listening too but there would have been Floyd/Zep etc played continously or whatever took the staff's fancy that day. Loads of staff when I was there probably more than "targets/health n safety" would allow today.

The window area was huge and they stuck any girlies :roll: who happened to be going out with someone or just tripped into the shop that day and wanted a groovy Saturday job :oops: in the window area to sell patchouli and/or a crystal to hang round your neck. Staffroom via old crumbling stairs down in the cellar - can't remember if there were any toilets 8O They also had a shop in Edinburgh run the same way.

Edinburgh shop Thistle Street

wish I had a pic of the old Glasgow one.

Probably no help at all Rookieb but I enjoyed the ramble ::):

edited to say b****** you said 1960's not the 1970's :oops:
Yes HH,I know
Bridie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:41 pm

banjo wrote:i have a couple of shang ri las originals on the red bird label and they have the wee triangle in the centre,remember those.

Could you scan them as I don't believe they exist.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects