Lost record shops of Glasgow

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Lost record shops of Glasgow

Postby eldubbug » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:56 pm

Extensive google searches have brought me here, and it seems as good a place as any to ask. To settle a debate, does anybody know the opening and closing dates of the original Virgin Records on Argyle Street/Wellington Street? Most sources have it as early 70s, but I have somewhere here who insists it was around in the late 60s.
eldubbug
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Josef » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:19 pm

I've never heard of a Virgin Records store in Glasgow prior to the Megastore in Union Street, but regardless, there wouldn't have been one in the sixties. The bearded crook's first shop was opened in 1971.

[Edit] Tell a lie. The ever informative Dexter has already mentioned it.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby thequeensparkranger » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:41 am

the "other record shop" was on street level i think? apologies for getting my drury lanes and drury streets mixed up.

TQPR
thequeensparkranger
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Bridie » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:56 am

Josef wrote:I've never heard of a Virgin Records store in Glasgow prior to the Megastore in Union Street, but regardless, there wouldn't have been one in the sixties. The bearded crook's first shop was opened in 1971.

and I worked(?) in it Image
Yes HH,I know
Bridie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby moonbeam » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:33 am

Used to be a wee record shop in Burgher Street at Parkhead Cross in the 1960s. I think the guy who ran it had another shop in Tollcross Road that sold jazz records in the late 1950s. He sold records at the Gallowgate opposite the Barras at weekends. I seem to recall meeting Adam McNaught of the jeely piece song fame in one of his shops.
I seem to remember was it Tam Bruces? record shop in Shettleston Road. They had a "Nolans" promo on and the Nolans turned up and signed their LP. I seem to recall Tower Records having groups on the first floor at lunch time. They opened the windows onto Argyll St and the traffic got stopped by the crowds.
moonbeam
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby banjo » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:05 pm

moonbeam,that would have been adam mcnaughton.he had a bookshop on parnie st for years[adams books].i have seen the jeely piece song being called the skyscraper wean and height starvation.
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:56 pm

Bridie wrote:
Josef wrote:I've never heard of a Virgin Records store in Glasgow prior to the Megastore in Union Street, but regardless, there wouldn't have been one in the sixties. The bearded crook's first shop was opened in 1971.

and I worked(?) in it Image

Have you managed to get the smell of incense out of your clothing yet?

Do you know the answer to eldubbug's question, btw? I'm curious to know the answer myself, now.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Bridie » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:47 pm

eldubbug wrote:Extensive google searches have brought me here, and it seems as good a place as any to ask. To settle a debate, does anybody know the opening and closing dates of the original Virgin Records on Argyle Street/Wellington Street? Most sources have it as early 70s, but I have somewhere here who insists it was around in the late 60s.

well I worked in it 72/73. It was a right dump of a place downstairs and I vaguely remember the manager and a couple of the staff then too. Not sure when it closed tho. Virgin also had a shop in Rose Street Edinbro at the same time and I went there one day to work for a change :wink: It was a bit smaller but had better staff facillities :D
Yes HH,I know
Bridie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Bridie » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:48 pm

Josef wrote:
Bridie wrote:Have you managed to get the smell of incense out of your clothing yet?

naw I love the smell of patchouli in the morning :wink:
Yes HH,I know
Bridie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fossil » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:53 pm

Bridie wrote:
Josef wrote:
Bridie wrote:Have you managed to get the smell of incense out of your clothing yet?

naw I love the smell of patchouli in the morning :wink:

iv got some. what a great smell 8)
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:53 pm

moonbeam wrote:Used to be a wee record shop in Burgher Street at Parkhead Cross in the 1960s. I think the guy who ran it had another shop in Tollcross Road that sold jazz records in the late 1950s. He sold records at the Gallowgate opposite the Barras at weekends. I seem to recall meeting Adam McNaught of the jeely piece song fame in one of his shops.
I seem to remember was it Tam Bruces? record shop in Shettleston Road. They had a "Nolans" promo on and the Nolans turned up and signed their LP. I seem to recall Tower Records having groups on the first floor at lunch time. They opened the windows onto Argyll St and the traffic got stopped by the crowds.

Tam Russell had a record shop in Shettleston Road so almost there. You can see it here.

Every district of Glasgow had a shop that sold records. Electrical shops , shops that sold bicycles (Langlands / Govan Road) so yes there was more than likely a shop in Burger Street
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby moonbeam » Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:32 pm

It was Tam Russell record shop. I was in love with Bernie Nolan for a week afterwards!! Wifey gave that "signed" Nolans LP away to a jumble sale years ago. BOO! Sad person skipping off work to go to Shettleston Road to see the Nolans.
moonbeam
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby macdonald » Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:37 pm

I think the first Virgin shop was in Notting Hill Gate. I'm pretty sure the Glasgow one opened in mid 71. I bought an album there on release which was in Nov 71. Big cushions in the window where you could listen to albums.
macdonald
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby macdonald » Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:48 pm

There was some discussion a few pages back about Listen. I can't remember if they did this in Dundas Place, but in Cambridge Street they didn't use alphabetical order. The grouped the LPs by Label. So if you didn't know what label it was on you had to go and speak to Dex's mates behind the counter who would look at you like you were a moron for not knowing the label.

I remember the two tools who ran it walking out of a Stones gig after an hour (Goat's Head Soup tour). They got it right that night.
macdonald
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby moonbeam » Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:55 pm

There used to be a record shop in that street at an angle that ran up from Queen Street Station to Buchanan St.
Dundas Place? Cant remember its name but I recall ordering records in it.
moonbeam
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects