When its gone its gone Archive

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby Apollo » Mon Aug 22, 2005 2:36 pm

Nope, posted here almost a year ago, complete with dem notice on the bus lane sign in front of the building.

Guess I was right in expecting it to go, since it didn't fit in with the developmet paln for the flats.
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby red_kola » Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:02 am

It's gone! I swear it was there a couple of days ago...

Interestingly, no mention of the word "luxury" on the West 11 advert.
red_kola
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fossil » Thu Aug 25, 2005 12:12 pm

wot the market? :(
Fossil
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby red_kola » Thu Aug 25, 2005 12:17 pm

Modern Fossil wrote:wot the market? :(
Fossil

Fraid so. I'd go and get an 'after' pic, but it's really not that interesting :(
red_kola
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Timchilli » Thu Aug 25, 2005 3:14 pm

That's a large area of derelict ground in prime real estate territory. Looks like the entire block will be taken over:

http://www.cruden-homes.co.uk/development/?development_id=22

Tim
Timchilli
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby gap74 » Wed Aug 31, 2005 1:43 am

Demolition work appears to have started on the Capitol Cinema in Lorne St, near Kinning Park.

This unlisted 1927 cinema was built to the designs of John Fairweather, who was responsible for most of the Green's Playhouses, including the vast Renfield St cinema which eventually became The Apollo before being demolished. Fairweather was known for his classical interior style, usually incorporating vast columns along the sidewalls. The Savoy in Cambuslang Main St is another of his surviving picture houses.

The building's cinema days appeared to have ended when it closed as a Gaumont in 1961, although it soldiered on as a bingo hall until Mecca moved to a new custom-built complex at the nearby Springfield Quay. It then enjoyed a return to cinema use as an Asian cinema called The Bombay until last year, when outline planning permission was granted for demolition. Full consent followed in May this year, for yet more flats built to an "unapologetically contemporary" design...

More details and pics at:

http://www.chem.gla.ac.uk/~gbarr/cinema ... ombay.html

Gary
Last edited by gap74 on Thu Sep 01, 2005 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gap74
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Tamandee » Wed Aug 31, 2005 7:16 am

Just been looking through this thread and the ugly ex-abattoir. I used to drive past it every day taking my husband to work in the late 70s early 80s and it was ugly then. Just about anything would be an improvement on what was there. And spare a thought for all the creatures herded there, in fear, to their death. Driven for miles . . . I won't go on. The statue of the calf is a very poignant reminder (for me) of what happened in that building. And yes I am veggie :cry: No offence intended.
Tamandee
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby escotregen » Wed Aug 31, 2005 7:19 pm

That's the problem, you veggies always have a beef about something :wink:
escotregen
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Thu Sep 01, 2005 8:06 am

Here's the replacement:

http://www.glasgowarchitecture.co.uk/kinning_park_lorne_st.htm

Ppppppppppppppp... PATHETIC.
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby Vladimir » Thu Sep 01, 2005 8:16 am

I tkink BBBBBORING is the word for it. Take one IKEA table.... :?
Vladimir
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Tamandee » Thu Sep 01, 2005 3:44 pm

I see they expect the employees to be taking fag breaks! ::): Is this a replacement abattoir or an office block?
Tamandee
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby engineer » Thu Sep 01, 2005 6:45 pm

here i was unaware i stayed so close to 'the media quarter' there goes the neighbourhood
engineer
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby gap74 » Thu Sep 01, 2005 11:47 pm

I'll quote, if I may be allowed, from the planning permission.... See if what it says there in any way resembles the artist's impression above!

The proposed replacement residential building which will extend along Lorne Street and wrap around Brand Street represents a bold architectural intervention which, although respectful of neighbouring scale, is unapologetically contemporary in its design..... The proposed design promotes a very strong architectural statement [which] responds to its context by creating a tenemental scale that interprets the traditional building in a very contemporary and powerful manner.... The red brick to Lorne Street makes reference to the nearby warehouses denoting Govan's industrial character, whilst the shiny black ceramic cladding to Brand Street makes reference to the contemporary riverfront buildings, both existing and emerging.... The colourful animated appearance of the elevations seeks to respond to the past use of the site as a cinema. This theme is further reinforced by the development of the nearby media park...

Colourful and animated elevations?? Perhaps my VDU needs its settings adjusted, cos I can't quite pick them out on that artist's impression...

Gary
gap74
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Mon Sep 05, 2005 4:51 pm

Timchilli wrote:That's a large area of derelict ground in prime real estate territory. Looks like the entire block will be taken over:

Anyone know what this building was used for?

Going fast! It's only really the Facade thats left.

HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby nodrog » Mon Sep 05, 2005 5:06 pm

HollowHorn wrote:
Timchilli wrote:That's a large area of derelict ground in prime real estate territory. Looks like the entire block will be taken over:

Anyone know what this building was used for?

Yikes! That's the Star Palace cinema -
http://www.chem.gla.ac.uk/~gbarr/cinema ... /star.html
Opened in February 1910, the Star Palace originally seated 1,005. The interior and exterior were remodelled several times, first in 1914, and again in 1920. It closed as a cinema in 1925, and was remodelled once again as the F&F Ballroom. Later used for bingo.

There's a shot of it as the F&F Palais de Dance on theGlasgowStory at:
http://www.theglasgowstory.com/image.php?inum=TGSA00882

Can't see from your photos if the bingo has shut as well or if it's just the buildings to the side being demolished .... let's hope it's the latter or that'll be another cinema going...

<goes to check>
"I'd just move on to the 'hot-air ballooning vigilante' stage of my career earlier than planned"

www.scottishcinemas.org.uk
www.twitter.com/scottishcinemas
nodrog
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects