StrathClyde Tram

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

StrathClyde Tram

Postby martin » Tue May 18, 2004 1:18 am

As mentioned in a thread somewhere a week or two ago, I managed to dig out some leaflets for the abandoned StrathClyde Tram project. The steam powered scanner's just been given some extra coal, and I've got this done so far...
http://galah.src.gla.ac.uk/martin/gallery/tram

Other leaflets I have available are entitled "Your Right to Compensation", "Access for All", "Trams and the Environment", and "Safety and Security". Any requests for the next one that I scan, next time I'm in desperate need of a study break?
martin
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Fossil » Tue May 18, 2004 8:21 am

more please :)

-fossil-
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Re: StrathClyde Tram

Postby scotia47 » Tue May 18, 2004 9:38 am

Very nicely done. 8)

martin wrote:Other leaflets I have available are entitled "Your Right to Compensation", "Access for All", "Trams and the Environment", and "Safety and Security". Any requests for the next one that I scan, next time I'm in desperate need of a study break?

Can you scan the "Your Right to Compensation" leaflet next?
scotia47
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby nodrog » Tue May 18, 2004 10:04 am

Those are great thank you - such a pity we never got them!

I'm still hoping the fact Edinburgh is getting trams back will spur Glasgow into getting its act together here...
"I'd just move on to the 'hot-air ballooning vigilante' stage of my career earlier than planned"

www.scottishcinemas.org.uk
www.twitter.com/scottishcinemas
nodrog
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby john-g » Tue May 18, 2004 6:13 pm

TRANSPORT bosses want to speed up a plan to re-introduce trams to Glasgow.
Proposals are being developed by Strathclyde Passenger Transport, the region's travel authority, and the city council for
a network that will link the city centre and major attractions on both banks of the River Clyde.
But SPT wants to press ahead with an early 'pre-LRT' (light rapid transit) scheme for the north bank from the city centre to the new financial district at Broomielaw, the Scottish Exhibition and Conference Centre and on to Glasgow Harbour.
SPT is this week expected to approve a decision to ask the Scottish Executive for the next stage in the series of feasibility studies to check the costs of a new tram route for the harbour project.
The first home buyers in Glasgow Harbour are due to move in this autumn, when 600 of 2500 houses are completed.
The rest of the £500million project, including a hotel, and leisure complex with bars, restaurants and a cinema, will be completed over 10 years. It is hoped trams could be on a riverside line before 2009.
Investigative work will find out the effect on flood prevention measures and a place for a tram depot will also need to be found, as well as how the system will link up with existing rail and subway systems.
The SPT study will check what exact route the line could follow and the authority will then have to apply to the Scottish Executive for a Bill to be passed to allow construction of a track.
Malcolm Reed, director-general of SPT, says: "Completion of this work will enable a decision to be taken on the alignment to be developed for the Bill. It will also guide decisions on whether to seek a phased promotion, with the possibility of 'fast tracking' a north bank part of the network provided it can be justified in its own right."
Most of the route would be in an off-road dedicated track but parts would be on the road, with lines bringing trams on to the city's streets for the first time since 1962.
Alistair Watson, chairman of SPT, said it was important transport links were developed at a pace with the riverside projects.
He said: "Within five years is not an unreasonable timescale. We can look at Manchester, which started with a city centre system and then extended it further."
A Glasgow Harbour spokesman said: "We have been speaking for some time with Glasgow City Council and Strathclyde Passenger Transport about a light rapid transit or tram link between Glasgow Harbour and the city centre, picking up at other riverfront destinations en route."
Charles Gordon, city council leader, said: "We will co-operate fully with SPT's detailed studies into a possible tram route serving the city centre, Tradeston, Pacific Quay, Govan and the Southern General Hospital.
"Engineering works for flood protection along the north bank of the Clyde will be designed in such a way as to accommodate any future new transport system."

john-g
First Stripe
First Stripe

Re: StrathClyde Tram

Postby martin » Tue May 18, 2004 7:20 pm

scotia47 wrote:Can you scan the "Your Right to Compensation" leaflet next?
No problem.. I'll get a couple more done later this evening.
martin
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby martin » Tue May 18, 2004 9:40 pm

The rest of them weren't as much of a bitch to scan.. They're all up now.

[font geek]
The typeface used for the word 'Tram' in the logotype is Frutiger Ultra Black, the same family as SPT's current corporate identity.
[/font geek]
martin
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby scotia47 » Tue May 18, 2004 11:55 pm

martin wrote:The rest of them weren't as much of a bitch to scan.. They're all up now.

[font geek]
The typeface used for the word 'Tram' in the logotype is Frutiger Ultra Black, the same family as SPT's current corporate identity.
[/font geek]

Thank you. 8)
scotia47
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby nodrog » Mon May 31, 2004 11:13 pm

"I'd just move on to the 'hot-air ballooning vigilante' stage of my career earlier than planned"

www.scottishcinemas.org.uk
www.twitter.com/scottishcinemas
nodrog
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects