When its gone its gone Archive

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby nodrog » Mon Sep 05, 2005 5:58 pm

Had a wander past - certainly as of this evening, the Bingo is still open for business, so hopefully it's going to be spared (even though demolition is proceeding apace on both sides!).

Also, the various fences securing the site are carefully arranged so as to not block the fire escapes from the bingo hall, so presumably it's going to be around for a bit longer at least.

It is going to look even more marooned on that site when the shops next door go; does anyone have any artists impressions of what the new developments will look like - I wonder if they might be planning to incorporate the bingo entrance in some way??

nodrog
"I'd just move on to the 'hot-air ballooning vigilante' stage of my career earlier than planned"

www.scottishcinemas.org.uk
www.twitter.com/scottishcinemas
nodrog
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Mon Sep 05, 2005 6:51 pm

nodrog wrote:does anyone have any artists impressions of what the new developments will look like - I wonder if they might be planning to incorporate the bingo entrance in some way??

No mention of the Bingo Hall:
http://www.cruden-homes.co.uk/developme ... ment_id=22

ps. Cheers for the info! :wink:
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby viceroy » Sun Sep 11, 2005 10:15 am

Happened to be walking past yesterday afternoon. The row of shops on Dumbarton Road has gone and you can now see the auditorium building from the front in all its glory. But it seemed to me that this building is Victorian, i.e much older than the Star Palace Cinema which, as mentioned earlier, was opened in 1910. Consulting my trusty Industrial Archaeology of Glasgow by John R. Hume I see that my hunch was correct. It was built in 1880-81 as the Partick Engine Works for William Smith & Sons who were engineers, boilermakers, sugar mill manufacturers and weighing machine makers. So it is in fact part of Glasgow's industrial heritage. Obviously the people who opened the Star Palace Cinema were able to take over and convert an existing building rather than having one purpose built.
viceroy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby AlanM » Mon Sep 12, 2005 1:20 pm

HollowHorn wrote:
nodrog wrote:does anyone have any artists impressions of what the new developments will look like - I wonder if they might be planning to incorporate the bingo entrance in some way??

No mention of the Bingo Hall:
http://www.cruden-homes.co.uk/developme ... ment_id=22

ps. Cheers for the info! :wink:

From the plan it looks like the realtively modern entrance to the Bingo hall will also go. Much of the ground floor looks as though it will be retail units.

Alan
AlanM
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:33 pm

Stockwell China Bazaar
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby nodrog » Tue Aug 15, 2006 4:19 pm

HollowHorn wrote:
Timchilli wrote:That's a large area of derelict ground in prime real estate territory. Looks like the entire block will be taken over:

Anyone know what this building was used for?

Going fast! It's only really the Facade thats left.

Todays ET has a story about this...
http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/hi/news/5055922.html
"I'd just move on to the 'hot-air ballooning vigilante' stage of my career earlier than planned"

www.scottishcinemas.org.uk
www.twitter.com/scottishcinemas
nodrog
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:19 pm

great pics mate! I never got the chance to see either of these buildings - what a shame to lose that resource centre building!
here i go, it's coming for me through the trees
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby Fossil » Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:24 pm

Quality walbass 8)
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby Sharon » Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:30 am

Brilliant Walbass, I haven't seen a pic of that wee wooden church since it vanished in a puff of smoke.

In my head i rememebred it being eggshell blue!! But then I've long since learned not to truwst my memory... :?
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Alex Glass » Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:26 pm

Fantastic selection of photos Walbass. Do you remember the year you took the photo of the building on Argyle Street. It is some years since I last remember having a good look at this part of the city.
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby John » Thu Aug 17, 2006 1:57 pm

Hi Alex and thanks to all for the comments.

All of the above shots, with the exception of the Hotspur Street church, were taken in September 1992.

Sadly the buildings they show are all gone now. I will get round to posting some now and then shots when I have a bit of time.

You should make a point of visiting the areas of Argyle Street just west of Central station as there is still much to see of interest to HGers. In particular James Watt street is fantastic.

Cheers

Walbass
'It's a sad day for capitalism when a man can't fly a midget on a kite over Central Park'
John
-
-

Postby Alex Glass » Thu Aug 17, 2006 2:56 pm

It is a much neglected part of the City and doesn't make many appearances on here. Will need to get down and have a walk about.
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby John » Fri Aug 18, 2006 7:18 am

I can highly recommend it Alex. It takes less than an hour to walk through the area just west of Central Station. I like to wander up and down the streets running between the Broomielaw and Argyle Street. It is a very pleasant way to pass a lunchtime on a dry day.

You will make many great discoveries on this route.
'It's a sad day for capitalism when a man can't fly a midget on a kite over Central Park'
John
-
-

Postby Dougie » Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:27 pm

Love those Bus Station photos!

Had loads of the travelator, don't know what I did with them but did find this in my old collection:

Dougie
Dougie
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby John » Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:42 pm

Nice picture Dougie. It is nice to see the names of all the old shops. I can remember buying speakers from a music shop to fit in some home made bass bins back in 1980.
John
-
-

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects