St Enoch viaduct

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

St Enoch viaduct

Postby pulidorro » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:52 pm

Hi! I’m very interested in the history of St Enoch station site. In fact I have already read “St Enoch Station (Not Subway)” topic but I’d like to focus this topic around the existing viaduct. I’ve been trying to find plans, sections and pictures (from the outside and the inside) of the existing viaduct (close to where the Paddy's market took place) that arrived to St Enoch Station but it is being very difficult to find information about the shop space below the viaduct. I know that there is a book called "Glasgow stations" (by C. Johnson and J. Hume, published by David & Charles in 1979) where maybe I could find useful information but I haven’t found it in any of the libraries that I have checked... Could anybody help me? Thank in advance,

Antonio
pulidorro
Just settling in
Just settling in

Re: St Enoch viaduct

Postby yoker brian » Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:39 am

I have that very book.
Milk Sucks, Got Beer?
yoker brian
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby pulidorro » Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:58 am

If there is any plan or section of the viaduct, could you post it?
pulidorro
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Lucky Poet » Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:55 am

If you can get to Edinburgh this might fit the bill: http://canmore.rcahms.gov.uk/en/details/586442/

Or as the link says the original is at British Rail Estates Department, Buchanan House, Glasgow, who might help. Failing that, maybe the Mitchell?
All the world seems in tune on a Spring afternoon, when we're poisoning pigeons in the park.
Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby pulidorro » Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:50 am

Could anybody provide me pictures of the viaduct??
pulidorro
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby yoker brian » Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:32 pm

What is your interest?
Milk Sucks, Got Beer?
yoker brian
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby pulidorro » Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:15 pm

I’m interested in plans, sections and pictures of St. Enoch viaduct because I’m a student of architecture and I think that this unused space (close to where the the Paddy's Market took place) has a great potential and should be reactivated like the examples that I have attached. Could anybody provide me what I’m looking for??

http://s1225.photobucket.com/albums/ee3 ... nt%3D1.jpg

http://s1225.photobucket.com/albums/ee3 ... nt%3D2.jpg

http://s1225.photobucket.com/albums/ee3 ... rdam_3.jpg

http://s1225.photobucket.com/albums/ee3 ... rdam_2.jpg

http://s1225.photobucket.com/albums/ee3 ... %3D2-1.jpg

http://s1225.photobucket.com/albums/ee3 ... %3D2-1.jpg

Thanks!!
pulidorro
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby yoker brian » Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:49 pm

I've had a thumb through my Copy of Glasgow Stations.

The section on St Enoch Station runs to about 28 pages - there are some line drawings / plans of the proposed & as built station & hotel which was demolished in the 1970/1980's - nothing on the arches I'm afraid.

The Mitchell Library holds 4 copies of this book - check with the Glasgow Collection on the second floor.

They also have in the collection "The redevelopment of St. Enoch Station, Glasgow : a proposal / by L.J.S. Lesley" again ask at the Glasgow Collection.

The National Archives of Scotland :

BR/GSW/8/10 File of correspondence about viaduct between Bridgegate Street and Dunlop Street with reference to the extension of St Enoch Station, Glasgow.

DD12/3318 Redevelopment of St Enoch's Station, Glasgow 1971-1980

DD12/3319 Redevelopment of St Enoch's Station, Glasgow 1981-1983

RF4/28 St Enoch Station Area, Glasgow Redevelopment proposals 1971-1977 Check details

RF4/29 St Enoch Station Area, Glasgow Redevelopment proposals 1976-1979

RHP5661 Bound plans and sections of various Glasgow and South Western Railway lines and works, St. Enoch Station 1903

RHP17392 Plan of the City of Glasgow Union Railway from St Enoch Square to College Station. 1864

RHP17529 Plan St. Enoch Station (Glasgow and South Western Railway). Mid 19th century

RHP17696 Plan of St. Enoch Station (Glasgow and South Western Railway).

RHP39714 1. Bound plans and sections of the St Enoch Station lines nos.1 & 2 and land to be acquired (Glasgow and South Western Railway). 2. Book of reference 1877

RHP39801 1. Bound plans and sections of the widening and extension of St Enoch Station (Glasgow and South Western Railway). 2. Book of reference and Gazette notice 3-4. Duplicates of nos. 1-2 1897

RHP39803 1. Bound plan of land adjoining St Enoch Station to be acquired by the Glasgow and South Western Railway. 2. Book of reference and Gazette notice 3-4. Duplicates of nos. 1-2 1903

RHP39842 1. Bound plan and section (with book of reference attached) of alterations to bridge at St Enoch Station (Glasgow and South Western Railway). 2. Duplicate of no.1 1890

RHP84194 Architectural plans, with site plan, of arch near Stockwell Street Bridge, St Enoch Station proposed to be partly converted into an air raid shelter for 110 persons (London Midland and Scottish Railway)
Milk Sucks, Got Beer?
yoker brian
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby fourbytwo » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:32 am

8) I remember as a boy (16yo), in 1966 working for an ad agency and delivering some artwork to a location just to the extreme left of St Enoch's, within the arches, many of which were shops etc.
These units however were limited height access and opened into vast, and I do mean VAST caverns full of Really Big wooden barrels.
So, I assume there was either a whisky warehouse, or a sherry warehouse there which went back the entire length of St Enoch's, towards Stockwell Street, and beyond.
Wouldn't surprise me if still there................?
fourbytwo
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby pulidorro » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:08 am

Thank you to all of you! I was living in Glasgow last year but right now I'm back in Spain so I don't know if I could ask for the information I'm looking for through the Royal Commission of the Ancient Historical Monuments of Scotland or the National Archives of Scotland but I'll do my best. If anybody could provide me those plans or more photos, it would be wonderfull. Once more, thank you to all who have read or answered this topic!!
pulidorro
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby the researcher » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:20 pm

hi
I worked in the archive centre here in fife and they hold dean of guild court building plans so suggest that you try either mitchell library or the archive centre as they may have the original plans on file though many plans were thrown out in 75 when the councils changed to two tier council
the archive centre i worked in had a machine which could copy the plans and could also burn it onto disc but you would have to ask how much they charged alternatively if you wait until you return you could visit and look at the plans and ask for them to be transferred to your memory stick as they probably wouldnt charge much or just a nominal charge
hope this info is of use to you
THE FLYING SCOT MADE BY RATTRAYS IN GLASGOW THE BEST BICYCLE EVER MADE
the researcher
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects