Project Updates: St Peter's Seminary

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: St Peters No.1

Postby Digitographer » Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:10 pm

Aha! So that's where it is! Thank you :)

I did try to get into the crypt, the sealed area beneath the seating area of what was once the Chapel, but that bloody steel plate was too well attached. I'm sure it'll get opened at some point. I can tell you, however, that the crypt once housed the mortal remains of an Archbishop for several years, before it was moved prior to the closure of the seminary and re-interred elsewhere. It's the one part of the place I *really* want to get into.
Will
www.askyofhoney.com
Digitographer
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby darrel » Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:16 am

some photos taken over two vists
http://darrel817.fotopic.net/c1707667.html
http://darrels.smugmug.com/
darrel
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby katimac » Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:38 am

Digitographer wrote:I did try to get into the crypt, the sealed area beneath the seating area of what was once the Chapel, but that bloody steel plate was too well attached. I'm sure it'll get opened at some point. I can tell you, however, that the crypt once housed the mortal remains of an Archbishop for several years, before it was moved prior to the closure of the seminary and re-interred elsewhere. It's the one part of the place I *really* want to get into.

It's still sealed up which surprises me given the level of destruction throughout the rest of the Seminary, but I'd love to get in there too. There are holes in the wall looking into the crypt area where vents used to be, and the air coming out is freezing!

Here's a video I took of the place a couple of weeks ago:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBKeo3e0LMc
And some current photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/39918880@N ... 577559985/

I wouldn't advise going down the stairs to the underground engineering rooms, apparently it's full of asbestos.
katimac
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby My Kitten » Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:57 am

darrel wrote:some photos taken over two vists
http://darrel817.fotopic.net/c1707667.html

Please no linkys to websites, share the gems!
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Vinegar Tom » Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:49 pm

I took Mrs VT down to St Peters for a wee wander today,
Unfortunately my camera battery packed in after 2 minutes , but worse than that the vandals have made significant progress.

There has been extensive burning above the altar , the asphalt roof and wooden beams have been destroyed and the rear aproach to the altar is ankle deep in ash and debris.

The altar has another massive chunk smashed off. Ah well :cry:
Glasgow ya bas!
Vinegar Tom
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Vinegar Tom » Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:10 pm

The fly mural is effed up by the fire.

Glasgow ya bas!
Vinegar Tom
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Lucky Poet » Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:26 pm

It's a crying shame these wankers never accidentally kill themselves when they're doing these things :roll:

Actually that was harsh; I'd be happy with severe injury.
All the world seems in tune on a Spring afternoon, when we're poisoning pigeons in the park.
Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby Lone Groover » Sun Jul 26, 2009 5:49 am

Lucky Poet wrote:It's a crying shame these wankers never accidentally kill themselves when they're doing these things :roll:

Actually that was harsh; I'd be happy with severe injury.

It's a crying shame the Catlicks didn't see fit to find an alternate use for the buiding and site. Plenty of space and potentail maybe for refugees or others in need.

Waaaaay too late now !

Katimacs video is very good, well done you . Nice soundtrack too !
"Work hard, Rock Hard, Eat hard, Sleep hard, Grow big, Wear glasses if you need 'em"
Flickr photos - If you can stand them !
www.flickr.com/photos/davetrott/
Lone Groover
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Glesga_Steve » Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:06 pm

Lone Groover wrote:Katimacs video is very good, well done you . Nice soundtrack too !

I second that!

Great video and brilliant choice of "Echoes" by Pink Floyd for the soundtrack - complemented the atmospheric feel of the video superbly.

I'd never heard of this building until I came across this post. Why was it only in use for such a short space of time? I realise the Catholic Church (like most faiths for that matter) isn't exactly broke but judging by it's size it must have cost a fair few quid to build - seems such a waste for it to have been just abandoned like that.

Why is it no matter where you go there are always idiots whose neanderthal brains get a kick out of wanton destruction? It can be anything from the simple bus shelter to a building like this. I bet the vast majority of them would never never even consider putting so much effort into something constructive.
Glesga_Steve
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Lucky Poet » Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:03 pm

Read back a page or two, there's a link to a film when it was intact. Well worth spending the time to watch.

Glesga_Steve wrote:Why was it only in use for such a short space of time?

That would be an ecumenical matter.

The Second Vatican Council made the place redundant almost as soon as it was finished, as it ended the policy of training would-be priests in isolated places like this, deciding instead to teach them 'in the community'.
All the world seems in tune on a Spring afternoon, when we're poisoning pigeons in the park.
Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby My Kitten » Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:37 pm

Come on father ted posts for random purlease!! Since ye's are all moaning minnies ive deleted your posts as they are pish.
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby wee minxy » Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:27 pm

It was LPs fault, he said "That would be an ecumenical matter" he goaded me into posting that vid :P , fuxake...ma video :cry:...oh hod oan...I only said "DRINK" am sure :D
wee minxy
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Mori » Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:23 pm

Space and Light

20 minute video, fascinating stuff to what stands today. :D
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:35 pm

Space and Light 1972 & Space and Light Revisited 2009 - World Premiere

Films by Murray Grigor A two-screen presentation with a live performance of the film score.

Date: 21 Sep
Venue: RSAMD, Glasgow
Tickets - free : RSAMD Foundation Office 0141 270 8273

Space and Light was a wordless portrait of St Peter's Seminary, Cardross. With its haunting score the film captured the flow of spaces and play of light in a day in the life of this modernist masterpiece, Space and Light Revisited - supported by a Creative Scotland Award - is a painstaking shot-by-shot recreation of the original film, made earlier this year in the now derelict rubble-strewn husk.
The score will be conducted by Rory Boyle - a protégée of the film's composer Frank Spedding - and performed by musicians associated with the Royal Scottish Academy of Music and Drama.

Space & Light PDF
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby kirstymaclaren » Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:11 pm

Today my friend and I spent a great morning exploring st peter's seminary. It was amazing to be there, better than I had expected! We looked around and took some photos. What a great space. I wish I could have spent longer... Who else has been up there? I bet it's popular with the local youths even if it is a bit out the way! The actual building itself is awesome but also some of the better graffiti was great to look at. I would love to go back there soon!
kirstymaclaren
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects