The A80/M80

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: The A80/M80

Postby Ally Doll » Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:47 pm

Glesga_Steve wrote:It never ceases to amaze me that people are prepared to sit in M8 idling traffic from Baillieston Interchange all the way to the city centre. There are so many other routes they could take yet they don't - the only explanation can be that they have never bothered their backsides trying to work out alternative routes.

It pays to learn your way around or, if you're going somewhere you don't travel to/through often, have a road map/street atlas in the car (I don't trust those Sat Nav devices - I prefer good old map reading). Obviously the more remote an area you are in then the more dificult that becomes but how often is that the case?

Agree with you there - lots of underused tricks when you know your way about!

Coming back from visiting the grandparents in Motherwell last week, I got to Baillieston and nothing was shifting because of the snow. I came straight off at Easterhouse and headed along Edinburgh Road back to Dennistoun - hardly a car on there, and the road had been gritted and was clear. From a stop-start crawl at 5mph, to a steady 30mph!

Before I passed my driving test, my dad would have me drive into Glasgow every Saturday. We could do the A8, but obviously had to leave before it turned into motorway. We'd take the various routes into town, all of which I regularly use now as 'shortcuts' when the M8 gets choked.
Ally Doll
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby tobester » Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:20 pm

Ally Doll wrote:Before I passed my driving test, my dad would have me drive into Glasgow every Saturday. We could do the A8, but obviously had to leave before it turned into motorway. We'd take the various routes into town, all of which I regularly use now as 'shortcuts' when the M8 gets choked.

Always good to learn 'alternative routes' for when things go belly up, i do too.

Thing is with humans, were a creature of habit...get into a comfort zone when travelling to/from places, and when something goes wrong, end up like a turtle on its back, flapping about and getting nowhere fast.
tobester
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Boxer6 » Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:27 pm

dave2 wrote:Google maps suggests that M8/A90 is only 2 minutes longer than A80/M80/A9/A90 under normal circumstances anyway. As long as the Forth Road Bridge is open that should be an easy route, especially with the new motorway link M9-Forth Road Bridge. Both ways it suggests Dundee-Perth-Forth Road Bridge (i.e stay on A90/M90) not A92 through Fife.

Having timed the journey through the roadworks compared to 'normal' times, I'd estimate adding about 10-12 minutes to that part of the trip. I'd still reckon on it being quicker than the A92 route though.
Some people hear voices.. Some see invisible people.. Others have no imagination whatsoever.
Boxer6
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby dave2 » Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:59 am

Yeah I did Alloa and back today - used to be 45 min for door-door, 1hr due to M80/A80/. This was mid evening (after rush hour) when the drop in speed from 70-40 for 15 miles really gets noticable.
dave2
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Previous

Return to Around the World