Helensburgh Wildlife.

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Helensburgh Wildlife.

Postby Doorstop » Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:28 am

After having worked in BJ's in Helensburgh on a few busy nights I knew the local folk could get a bit wild but had no idea about what may have been lurking in the undergrowth. 8O
I like him ... He says "Okie Dokie!"
Doorstop
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Helensburgh Wildlife.

Postby John » Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:48 am

Doorstop wrote:After having BJ's in Helensburgh on a few busy nights I knew the local folk could get a bit wild but had no idea about what may have been lurking in the undergrowth. 8O

Blimey DS my eyesight must be going. My first read of your post widened my eyes.
'It's a sad day for capitalism when a man can't fly a midget on a kite over Central Park'
John
-
-

Postby onyirtodd » Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:49 am

The Royal Bar can get a wee bit interesting too - even weekday teatime :roll:
238 to 127. All in all a good afternoon's work
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Doorstop » Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:54 am

John wrote:
Doorstop wrote:After having BJ's in Helensburgh on a few busy nights I knew the local folk could get a bit wild but had no idea about what may have been lurking in the undergrowth. 8O

Blimey DS my eyesight must be going. My first read of your post widened my eyes.

::): There were a couple of kneetrembler moments in there it has to be said.
I like him ... He says "Okie Dokie!"
Doorstop
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby hungryjoe » Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:45 am

I'm gigging just along the road at The Anchor Inn in Garelochead this Saturday from 9.30pm. All welcome.

My son's band, Mechanical Smile will be playing there later this year should any young fogeys be interested.
Multi dinero, multi ficky fick, multi divorce.
hungryjoe
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby MacotheIsles » Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:55 am

Grew up on the shores of the Gareloch and spent many days walking the hills above Rhu and Helensburgh. Never saw a big cat, but one afternoon when I was about 14 I was a-lowping through the heather and bracken when the ground suddenly erupted in front of me and a fella, dressed in civvies and carrying something like the old clansman radio pack, jumped up from a well-concealed semi-subterranean hide and tabbed off at a great rate of knots. I did the same in the other direction. Not sure if he was 'one of ours' or 'one of theirs' and I wasn't hanging about to find out. With Faslane there it's RM territory of course and the civvies might indicate the SBS up to whatever they were up to ... but there again....
MacotheIsles
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Icecube » Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:26 pm

There used to be a wee pub on the shore front [I hesitate to call it the the sea front] called simply 'BAR-L'. Anybody remember it?
Icecube
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:34 am

If this is indeed a big cat it wouldn't be the first one that's been brought back from exotic climes on a warship.
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Its_a_gamp » Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:21 pm

Icecube wrote:There used to be a wee pub on the shore front [I hesitate to call it the the sea front] called simply 'BAR-L'. Anybody remember it?

Renamed "the Garth Inn" many years ago - it was fire bombed a couple of weeks back
Due to cutbacks, the light at the end of the tunnel is off until further notice!
Its_a_gamp
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:31 pm

Its_a_gamp wrote:
Icecube wrote:There used to be a wee pub on the shore front [I hesitate to call it the the sea front] called simply 'BAR-L'. Anybody remember it?

Renamed "the Garth Inn" many years ago - it was fire bombed a couple of weeks back

Is that the place with the food bit up the side street? I noticed it was shut but knew nothing about any fire?
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Its_a_gamp » Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:59 pm

onyirtodd wrote:
Its_a_gamp wrote:

Is that the place with the food bit up the side street? I noticed it was shut but knew nothing about any fire?

Thats the one.
Due to cutbacks, the light at the end of the tunnel is off until further notice!
Its_a_gamp
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:38 pm

Thanks.
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby MacotheIsles » Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:24 pm

Back in the day the public house of choice for the discerning Helensburgh dandy was the Teak'n'Ash. As regards other town landmarks, anybody remember the old Tower Cinema, or the Granary Restaurant on the seafront where the swimming baths car park now is? Both were casualties of the great Storm back in '67, but stood for quite a long time afterwards.
MacotheIsles
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:38 pm

Ah, the legendary discerning Helensburgh dandies. As uncountable as the starlings swooping and swirling above Central Station bridge of an Autumn's evening, they were, once upon a time. Both long since consigned to the recesses of barely living memory, alas.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby MacotheIsles » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:56 pm

Josef wrote:Ah, the legendary discerning Helensburgh dandies. As uncountable as the starlings swooping and swirling above Central Station bridge of an Autumn's evening, they were, once upon a time. Both long since consigned to the recesses of barely living memory, alas.

Well put and very true Sir! As uncountable and as unaccountable too as it happens. Swaggering Beau Brummels the lot of them, tipping out into the street at closing time; their 'huzzas' and whoops slowly dispersing into the night as they drifted off towards the upper town mansions. Now all-but gone.

'Owever, they do say as on a dark and windy night, when the waves are a-crashing on the shore, that you may still 'ear their shouts and ribald merrymaking above the howling of the storm, and catch a glimpse of their lanthorns as they seek out their long-since-converted-to-flats homes. (West Montrose Street and upwards.)
MacotheIsles
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Next

Return to Around the World