Humbie Children's Village

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby Pgcc93 » Sat Apr 23, 2005 10:54 am

greywolf45 wrote:
DickyHart wrote:its all still there greywolf.

Thanks Dicky. I was wondering about it, well, since Av at UER.ca made the location unavailable to me. :mrgreen:

You'll be glad to know it's now also unavailable to Av & Co indefinitely! Greywolf ::):
Pgcc93
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby lordsleek » Sat Apr 23, 2005 11:58 am

i's a alfa woollph

::):
lordsleek
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby turbozutek » Sat Apr 23, 2005 2:20 pm

lordsleek wrote:i's a alfa woollph

Plod plod ploddin' along! :-)

Chris...
turbozutek
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Humbie Children's Village

Postby greywolf45 » Mon Apr 25, 2005 12:53 pm

Pgcc93 wrote:
greywolf45 wrote:

Thanks Dicky. I was wondering about it, well, since Av at UER.ca made the location unavailable to me. :mrgreen:

You'll be glad to know it's now also unavailable to Av & Co indefinitely! Greywolf ::):

Best news yet. I knew it would come back to bite him (Av) on the ass. :twisted: Thank you Pgcc for making my day. :)
Last edited by greywolf45 on Wed Apr 27, 2005 3:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
greywolf45
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Re: Humbie Children's Village

Postby greywolf45 » Wed Apr 27, 2005 3:22 am

greywolf45 wrote:
Pgcc93 wrote:
greywolf45 wrote:

Best news yet. I knew it would come back to bite him on the ass. :twisted: Thank you Pgcc for making my day. :)

I fear for the sanity of the former residents of Humbie. Abuse of any kind takes a long time to get over. But what really upsets me is that these people did it i the name of God. That upsets me.

Oh BTW, i didn't mean for my last comment to sound sarcastic. If it did, i apologize. :oops:
greywolf45
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby My Kitten » Fri Sep 15, 2006 12:25 pm

From DMH website
http://www.dmhbl.co.uk/details.cfm?id=dmhb999000227

This planned village was built from about 1905, and was designed to provide holiday accommodation for children. It consists of seven houses, Dinner Hall and School House, all in an Arts & Crafts style, Listed for their architectural and historic interest.

Humbie offers purchasers the opportunity to sympathetically modernise, upgrade and extend the existing homes or build on one of the 4 plots. Each property is offered for sale with detailed planning permission. Each home is set within large gardens and, once completed, will offer a most attractive and desirable location to live.

SITUATION: The village is situated in a picturesque area of East Lothian with the Lammermuir Hills as a backdrop. It offers a good base for commuters with road links via the A68 to Edinburgh City Bypass and the main motorway networks. Humbie should also benefit from the proposed Waverley line rail link and the Dalkeith Bypass, construction of which is expected to complete in 2008.

The Village has a local shop with a wider range of shopping available in Pathhead and Dalkeith. High street shopping, supermarkets and retail parks are in abundance in Edinburgh. Humbie has a local primary school with pre-school club, and an excellent choice of private, day and boarding schools are available in Edinburgh.

For recreational interest East Lothian offers a golfers paradise with a choice of many courses, hill-walking and cycling, sailing and many picturesque beaches.

SERVICES Provision has been made to each plot however purchasers will be required to make their own arrangement for connection to all services.

Water A new main has been installed with ducts to each plot.

Electricity A new supply has been installed and connection has been taken to the boundary of each plot.

Sewage A new sewage treatment plant has been installed including connecting manholes to each property with tails left for connection.

Road The road is currently at base coat level. Final coat works will be completed by the seller in Autumn 2007.

Street-Lighting Will be completed when the topcoat of the road is laid.

B.T. Ducting has been installed to the curtilage of the plots for the running of BT cables.

A factor will be appointed for all common areas, services, the road and streetlighting upkeep.

PLANNING Detailed planning permission was granted on 8 September 2005 (Application No. 04/01482/FUL) for the alteration and extension of the 9 existing buildings and the erection of 4 new dwellings as shown on the site plan. Listed consent was granted on 11 October 2004 Ref: 02/00470/LBC. Deviation from any of the consented drawings and design would require a new application in the purchasers own time.

Planning Application link to East Lothian Council website:

http://www.planning.eastlothian.gov.uk/ ... 1482%2FFUL

POSSESSION Vacant possession will be given on entry.

VIEWING Viewing is strictly by appointment. Please contact the selling agents DMH Baird Lumsden during office hours, Monday to Friday 9.00 - 5.30. Tel: 0131 477 6001.

DIRECTIONS Head south from Dalkeith on the A68, pass through the village of Pathhead, and continue to Fala. AT Fala turn left onto B6457 for approximately 1 mile then turn left on B6368. Continue on this road until you enter Humbie. On entering the village turn right and follow the road to the site.

PRICES

PLOT ASKING PRICE

1 Offers in excess £150,000

2 Offers in excess £170,000

3 Offers in excess £165,000

4 Offers in excess £145,000

5 Offers in excess £165,000

6 Offers in excess £230,000

7 Offers in excess £225,000

8 Offers in excess £150,000

9 Offers in excess £170,000

10 Offers in excess £185,000

11 Offers in excess £185,000

12 Offers in excess £185,000

13 Offers in excess £185,000
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby duncan » Sat Sep 16, 2006 7:27 pm

saw this in the Metro as well. Interestingly fails to mention the history of abuse that went on there.

Coincidentally I got an email today from an ex-resident:
I wanted to thank you for posting your Humbie slideshow on the web. I spent two summer terms there in the 50's when it was very much a Children's Holiday Village and not the sad place it later became. The blacksmith's logo on the steps of the chute was the same as on our 'home' chute at North Berwick so I used sit there if I felt homesick - I had forgotten all about it till I saw your pix. You brought back a lot of very happy memories for me.
duncan
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Jingle Bells » Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:47 pm

Hi guys,,,

I cant speak for any other time,, but, between January and March of 1964 I was there with some other children, and none of us were handicapped or in any way disabled. We were told it was a respite home to give our parents a bit of peace for three months. (my mum had left, and I know at that time, my poor dad was fairly at the end of his tether).

While there we had a couple looking after us in our cottage. They had two children of their own, one boy and one girl my age. The husband of the couple, abused me. His wife was asleep down stairs while this went on. I didnt tell anyone, because our feeling at that time was that we would not be believed.

I am not happy that this man got away with it, but what to do? I know that he very soon after moved to Musselburgh, to do what, I have no idea. I was 8 at the time.

The mention of Humbie prompted me to write. My life is good. I'm a happy person. Just now and then things surface.

I wont let the gitts get me now, as they did then.
Jingle Bells
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby munroman » Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:58 am

Jingle Bells wrote:Hi guys,,,

I cant speak for any other time,, but, between January and March of 1964 I was there with some other children, and none of us were handicapped or in any way disabled. We were told it was a respite home to give our parents a bit of peace for three months. (my mum had left, and I know at that time, my poor dad was fairly at the end of his tether).

While there we had a couple looking after us in our cottage. They had two children of their own, one boy and one girl my age. The husband of the couple, abused me. His wife was asleep down stairs while this went on. I didnt tell anyone, because our feeling at that time was that we would not be believed.

I am not happy that this man got away with it, but what to do? I know that he very soon after moved to Musselburgh, to do what, I have no idea. I was 8 at the time.

The mention of Humbie prompted me to write. My life is good. I'm a happy person. Just now and then things surface.

I wont let the gitts get me now, as they did then.

Hi, welcome to the forum.

Well done for not letting such an awful experience drag you down, the guy must have been an absolute sleazeball.
The fact that 'things surface' means that maybe you have a need for some sort of resolution.
I would not be surprised if others suffered as you did, if you have the guys name, maybe the Police already have a report about him, but not enough evidence.
Scum like him would use their position of trust and power over children, maybe there is still a chance to get justice.

Whatever you do, I wish you good luck and happiness.
munroman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Jingle Bells » Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:44 pm

The 'unmentionable' is very probably dead now, it happened nearly 50 years ago. As I was the oldest, and tallest he probably singled me out. Who knows how these minds work? He was just an entirely creepy pig.

It's just dreadful that there are so very many of us in 'our gang'. I know there are poor souls out there who just didnt make it, and struggle with life, because of these people.

I have made a point of making this life a happy one, or, as much as any of us can. With normal life stresses coming our way. I try to be a very positive person, and dont let things get me down for long. Probably because Im still mad at the people who 'got' me when I was small.

I'm a people collector, and insist on making things not 'usual'. Life is short and we have to make the best of it now!

I really believe in wishful thinking though, and if that works at all, 'his' life has not been good! He's been on my 'Hex list' for a lonngggg time. :0)

Thank you for caring though. Im lucky, I have lots of fab people in my life, most of whom are nicely crazy, so lots of fun.
Jingle Bells
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby michael123 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:25 pm

I hope to contact people who were at Humbie in the mid 50s.
Does anyone know how to prove that they were there? It seems that no records were kept.....I thought about medical records-it seems they have been lost!!!
When I was there , one of the females [a foreign woman , maybe German or Polish] was having liasons with a general handyman
who would do work around the village.
The woman took us out on a Sunday for a walk near the woods beside the village.
This man used to meet her after about 10 minutes into the walk.
She told us to stay where we were, and to not go too far away.
They then went into the woods and had their "liason".
The man seemed to take pleasure in exposing himself to the kids.....they started behind a tree, but they soon came round to the
side, so we could see everything that was happening.
But the worst part was at night.....the man came into the room and abused kids who were crying....supposedly to comfort them.
We used to lie in fear of the door opening .....it was sometimes a very long time before we could sleep.
If anyone recollects any of this, please reply .
michael123
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby michael123 » Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:31 pm

Hi Jinglebells, and any others!
How can you prove that you were at the home?
Where can records be inspected , or even examined to give evidence of actually having been there!!!
Michael
michael123
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby michael123 » Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:39 pm

I was there in the mid-fifties......anyone been there at the same time?
michael123
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby michael123 » Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:40 am

Can't believe it....my record of Humbie was located in my old school records......thanks to really good work by the future payment team (Jeannie) and Future Pathways (Lara) team .
A big thanks for all they have done for me .
michael123
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby michael123 » Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:05 pm

I would like to thank John Swinneyt,he Advanced payment team and Future Pathways for the
amazing help they gave me . It's a case of
"Never give up"..... If you need help...just contact them.
michael123
Just settling in
Just settling in

PreviousNext

Return to Around the World