Leadhills and Wanlockhead (includes a secret tunnel!)

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Leadhills and Wanlockhead (includes a secret tunnel!)

Postby theduke » Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:01 am

Was down at Leadhills today with Flex, where we went on the railway between there and Glengonnar Halt. We were told by the Guard that this is the highest station in Scotland. The train then takes you back to Leadhills, where a mini bus will take you to Wanlockhead Mining Museum. As it was a special Santa day, the train was called the Santa Special, with mulled wine, mince pies, and tea/coffee available on departure and arrival. At the Mining Museum, you are taken by a guide into one of the numerous mines, and taken 150 metres into the hillside to meet Santa!!! Hard hats compulsory in the mine.

The minibus then takes you back to Leadhills, and this is where the secret tunnel comes in. Running parallel to the line, about 30 feet up from Leadhills station itself, is an old tunnel which was used when the mining was in full flow, to transport the railway trucks full of lead. When Flex was young, she and her pals would dare each other to walk through it. Now , it must be about 150 feet long, pretty straight, with not much to watch out for apart from the odd dead sheep ( as I found out when Flex thought she had seen one and jumped behind me very quickly!). Still great to have been through it, I must thank Flex as I would never have known about the tunnel if it wasn't for her.

http://www.leadhillsrailway.co.uk/
Sixty Seconds In Kingdom Come
theduke
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Re: Leadhills and Wanlockhead (includes a secret tunnel!)

Postby Alex Glass » Sat Dec 15, 2007 11:37 pm

Duke

I had the pleasure of visiting Wanlockhead some years ago. I took a group there and we all had a great time. There were a couple of the group who didn't want to go into the mine. Fortunately this didn't spoil the experience for everyone else.

Glad to hear you had a good time there too.

Sorry for taking so long to read your post.
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Return to Around the World