Walk around Hamilton

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby DickyHart » Sat Mar 31, 2007 9:12 am

whats the story with it then. might even investigate it...
Is this gonna be a standup fight, sir, or another bughunt?
DickyHart
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby TEAMSANO » Sat Mar 31, 2007 7:22 pm

ill ask him next time i see him. he's off work for a while, so no doubt ill forget. ::):
TEAMSANO
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Alan L » Sun Apr 01, 2007 12:09 pm

My Kitten wrote:If we knew that we couldve come up for a cuppa tea, as theres "no food" in hamilton after 5 :roll:

Such was my hangover last Sunday, even putting the kettle on would have been beyond me. :oops:

Anyways, Hardie's apart, I'd be wary of eating grub in any pub in Hamilton, so it was probably for the best. For the size of the place, Hamilton must have the worst selection of pubs in Scotland.
Alan L
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Alan L » Sun Apr 01, 2007 12:17 pm

Cyclo2000 wrote:DonL, Those flats used to be offices, IIRC.
Watson's Personal Finance and the offices of Anthony Karpe, the Jewelers.

As to Chambers, that was my local for many years and used to be called the Crown. It was one of the few places in Lanarkshire (the Heathery in Wishaw being another) where you could see a live band. It was my friend's dad who held the license back then and he held it through the refurbishment into Chambers and for many years after, until the brewery bought it back from him. For a while it was the place to go!
They're was another floor on the building then (it was still there up till about ten years ago). There were two flats, one of which was rented out and my friends lived in the other, larger flat. To the rear were the original, Victorian Hamilton Public Baths - the demolition of which was a damned disgrace.
That whole street has been decimated. On the next corner down, where the Hamilton Water Palace is now, stood a proper Grocers, like Arkwrights in "Open All Hours" called Kenilworths. It was run by two brothers and everything was kept behind the counter. Most of their loyal customers were batchelors (like me at the time) and we used to leave the boys a list of what we wanted in the morning and pick it up all packed in a box at night.
On that same stretch of street there were two bars, a cafe, a fried chicken joint and a sweety shop. One of the bars was a shrine to the Accies and run by the guy who now runs (or he ran, I think he's deed) the Bay Horse in Bothwell Road.
Talking of Bothwell Road...just up the street from the Bay Horse is a Chinese joint called Chims. Originally (well, Duh!) a private house, it was owned by the father of Old Mr. Begg, of Begg and Whiteford, the veterinary surgeons in Stra'ven. I don't even know if Begg and Whiteford still exists as such cos Young Mr. Begg has long since retired. I know the original Whiteford's been dead for a long time too.
I noticed in yer photo albums a pic of the railings outside Hamilton College - these are the surviving panels of the Hamilton Palace fence. The rumour is (and has been since their installation) that they're upside down. Whaddya think?

Interesting stuff. I currently live in one half of what was Watson Personal Finance!

I had the dubious pleasure of attending Bell College many moons ago, so I'm very familiar with both the Bay Horse and Chambers. Indeed, Chambers was the first boozer to serve me bevvy. :D

I wonder what the hell the former Lanarkshire County Council were smoking when thay approved the plans for most of what now sits on Almada Street? There are some lovely old buildings amonst the combined eyesore of Bell College, the County building and the flats on the other side of the road. Actually, the County Buildings would look OK in a city but on the outskirts of a wee town, they just look totally out of place.

It certainly sounds as though Almada Street would have been a lively place in the past. Just goes to show that Glasgow doesn't have a monopoly on town planners' fuck ups.
Alan L
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Cyclo2000 » Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:55 am

Hardies was a decent place when Martin had it (Martin Feeney oversaw Hardies for years. He was a Cordon Blue chef. Hardies was converted from George Lloyd's Moped World [I'm not making this up] which itself was converted from the Co-op grocery), Martin runs The Courtyard in Campbell Street now I think - unless he's finally retired of course!
On a side note, George Lloyds motorcycle place at the time MopedWorld was extant was at the foot of Hamilton Parish Church gates, in what became Rococco Nightclub. I see from the pics posted here that the building has been raised and flats built. George of course moved the whole operation up to Peacock Cross in the early 80's, into the building thats currently occupied by a sofa shop.

I always liked the County Buildings, supposedly designed to look like the United Nations. The round council chamber is a real joy. It's a pity it's hardly ever used!

Most of the demolition of Armada Street and environs took place relatively recently, after the old County Councils were disolved. The bottom half of the street was nearly all sandstone tenements. How they ever approved the removal of them is beyond me but the Council were very keen to to build a new swimming pool to replace the Victorian baths and seemed to rush through application after application in order to facilitate their scheme. At around that same time they also authorised the removal of the last bit of the Cameronian barracks in Bothwell Road. I was a bit upset to see that Douglasdale, the house on the corner opposite the County Buildings, is now lying empty. You'd think a fine Edwardian villa like thon would be snapped up by developers, even if it is a noisy corner. The Victorian terrace running down that side of Armada street towards Peacock Cross is quite interesting, lovey wrought iron work around the dormer syle windows.

I nearly bought an upstairs flat on the opposite corner (Armada Chambers?) many years back. I think now that the street is entirely ruined, as is most of Hamilton's town centre. In guidebooks of yore Hamilton was described as "a rare example of an attractive industrial town", I wonder what the guidebooks say now, if they mention the place at all that is.
Alter Aterius Auxilio Veget
Cyclo2000
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Cyclo2000 » Mon Apr 02, 2007 4:13 pm

Cyclo2000
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Re:

Postby nuttytigger » Sun May 02, 2010 8:58 pm

Cyclo2000 wrote:Hardies was a decent place when Martin had it (Martin Feeney oversaw Hardies for years. He was a Cordon Blue chef. Hardies was converted from George Lloyd's Moped World [I'm not making this up] which itself was converted from the Co-op grocery), Martin runs The Courtyard in Campbell Street now I think - unless he's finally retired of course!
On a side note, George Lloyds motorcycle place at the time MopedWorld was extant was at the foot of Hamilton Parish Church gates, in what became Rococco Nightclub. I see from the pics posted here that the building has been raised and flats built. George of course moved the whole operation up to Peacock Cross in the early 80's, into the building thats currently occupied by a sofa shop.

I always liked the County Buildings, supposedly designed to look like the United Nations. The round council chamber is a real joy. It's a pity it's hardly ever used!

Most of the demolition of Armada Street and environs took place relatively recently, after the old County Councils were disolved. The bottom half of the street was nearly all sandstone tenements. How they ever approved the removal of them is beyond me but the Council were very keen to to build a new swimming pool to replace the Victorian baths and seemed to rush through application after application in order to facilitate their scheme. At around that same time they also authorised the removal of the last bit of the Cameronian barracks in Bothwell Road. I was a bit upset to see that Douglasdale, the house on the corner opposite the County Buildings, is now lying empty. You'd think a fine Edwardian villa like thon would be snapped up by developers, even if it is a noisy corner. The Victorian terrace running down that side of Armada street towards Peacock Cross is quite interesting, lovey wrought iron work around the dormer syle windows.

I nearly bought an upstairs flat on the opposite corner (Armada Chambers?) many years back. I think now that the street is entirely ruined, as is most of Hamilton's town centre. In guidebooks of yore Hamilton was described as "a rare example of an attractive industrial town", I wonder what the guidebooks say now, if they mention the place at all that is.

Sorry to drag up an old topic but the wee house you are talking about was demolished last month as they are changing the road layout etc at that part of Hamilton
nuttytigger
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Walk around Hamilton

Postby Sir_Knox » Tue May 04, 2010 3:32 pm

Hamilton is full of interesting history, one place thats well worth a visit would be Chatelherault Country Park.

Its the old country home of the Duke of Hamilton, which has been opened for the public, which has been for the best according to local stories about his treatment of the local workers.

Evidently the treatment they endured eventually brought the fall of his dynasty.
Sir_Knox
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Cyclo2000 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:03 am

The really sensational thing about Chatelherault isn't that it was the Dukes Country Seat, it was merely his dog kennel! There was a hunting lodge attached but it would have been used for dining, probably only for lunching. The strange lump at the right hand side as you look at the lodge and the accompanying pit were where El Magnifico kept his pet leopard.

In the past, the slope at the front of the lodge had a much gentler incline but the aggregate was all dug away to pay debts and the lodge was abandoned. There was a grand avenue of trees which connected to Hamilton Palace.

It fair beggars belief just how much moolah they must have had...and how much they lost through gambling!
Cyclo2000
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby BrigitDoon » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:47 am

Chatelherault

Cyclo2000 wrote:In the past, the slope at the front of the lodge had a much gentler incline but the aggregate was all dug away to pay debts and the lodge was abandoned. There was a grand avenue of trees which connected to Hamilton Palace.

UXB
BrigitDoon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Previous

Return to Around the World