Postby gordon » Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:26 pm

Beautiful!
Malcolm Tucker is always right.
gordon
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby My Kitten » Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:27 pm

I'm sure you are ;)

The shopping centre has always been shit. Apart from that there are some walks up to Fannyside Loch ( :wink: ) and some old brickworks near to Palacerigg. Also a nice walk to Cumbernauld Village past an old Dove Cote and woodlands (picnic weather really)

There loads of good stuff behind the shite

Must look out some fambly pics
два сталкиваются
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby james73 » Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:29 pm

More jokey banter brightens a dull pebbledash wall

That's fukkin kwality, right there... ::):

James H
He's over there...
james73
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby gordon » Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:31 pm

My Kitten wrote:I'm sure you are ;)

Duh, of course.

But seriously, the centre is great, i mean, it must have the highest Greggs per square mile ratio of anywhere in the country.

Cumbernauld is the main focus of our AAD Design Studio this year (i decided to do the M74 instead), some fairly interesting stuff. The centre could work if it was unpacked, and plugged in more with the rest of the housing areas - at the mo they're too disconnected to be able to use what little there is in the central area.

Some of the initial proposal videos they did for the centre were hilarious though.
Malcolm Tucker is always right.
gordon
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby My Kitten » Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:40 pm

Abronhill is a suburb in the northeastern half of Cumbernauld, a new town in North Lanarkshire, about 15 miles from Glasgow, Scotland. The suburb was possibly the last built using the same basic design guidelines employed by the rest of Cumbernauld (e.g. underpasses and bridges to cross roads, etc). The town has a shopping centre and high school, along with three primary schools and three churches. Every street in the older part of the area is named after a tree. In more recent times privately built estates such as Whitelees and one built on the site of an old school have attracted new buyers to the area.

The name Abronhill comes from the 1600s, during the English Civil War, when the area was named Adam the Hebrew's Hill by the Covenanters. The name gradually corrupted into Abronhill. Until the 60s and 70s, the land that is now Abronhill was occupied by farms such as Whitelees, Glenhead, Low Abronhill and High Abronhill. Abronhill, or rather, the area on which it stands, was an area of working farms until they were subsumed by the New Town. The farms had developed from the Fleming estate, the Flemings being the ruling family in the area, living at Cumbernauld House, who acquired the area after Robert the Bruce killed the previous laird, Comyn, in the early 1300s. The local lords and the royalty of Scotland often came to hunt the deer and mysterious wild "white cattle" which roamed in the forest around Cumbernauld, and presumably in the rich woodland which once surrounded Abronhill. Mary Queen of Scots stayed in nearby Castlecary Castle, and together with another Mary planted two yew trees, which grow there yet.

The original four Abronhill cottages of the area, are from before the new town was built, they were originally built for the workers of the near by farms, and are situated on the old Slamannan Road (now Broom Road). They can be found close to Cumbernauld Glen, enroute to the historical site of interest the Dove cote. The Dove Coo in informal English was part of the original Flemmings estate and is from the 16th century and has recently received a grant from SWT to be renovated.

Abronhill was used as the filming location for the Bill Forsyth film Gregory's Girl, particularly the local Abronhill High School.

The area around Abronhill is mainly farmland and woodland. Palacerigg country park is nearby. A railway and three streams run through this suburb rich in clay.
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:47 pm

::): is that the most there is to say for the place... its rich in clay?

wonder what these mysterious wild white cattle were? an offshoot of the haggis phylum maybe? :P
here i go, it's coming for me through the trees
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby doonunda » Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:16 am

It's not that bad, it's got an airport and a theatre.

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~hdgunn/history.htm
Last edited by doonunda on Fri Feb 16, 2007 1:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
doonunda
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby tobester » Thu Feb 08, 2007 4:10 pm

although on a downside the worst thing about cumbernauld, is deadwood, sorry i meant broadwood, (stadium not district)
tobester
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby My Kitten » Thu Feb 08, 2007 4:51 pm

doonunda wrote:It's not that bad, it's got an airport and a theatre.

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~hdgunn/history.htm

The theatre is pretty good. basic but has a good few things on in it. (and a nice bar ; ) )
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Cumbernauld again....

Postby Cyclo2000 » Wed Mar 21, 2007 3:03 pm

I happened across this article from 1972. It's by an American academic and covers Cumbernauld and East Kilbride, comparing and contrasting these Scottish new towns with some of the English examples. His disection of Cumbernauld as a medieval hilltop town is interesting as are many of the illustrations. Makes me wanna get the old camera oot an' start snappin' before it all falls down.
The main bit about Cumbernauld is near the bottom so scroll down, but there are other pics on the way, notably one showing (and with a text refering too) the Eagle, or Golden Eagle hotel (or was that the Falcon? Hmmm...I think The Eagle was on the roof) which later almost literally "fell off" the rest of the construction and had to be demolished.

http://www.aliciapatterson.org/APF00197 ... nie12.html
Alter Aterius Auxilio Veget
Cyclo2000
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby My Kitten » Wed Mar 21, 2007 3:28 pm

Interesting article. Definately have to sort out a wee trip there before they knock it all down (and whilst I remember how to navigate its hidden bits).

The Golden Eagle was indeed the hotel that was in the town centre. I shall harrang the mother for some more memories.
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Cyclo2000 » Thu Mar 22, 2007 4:04 pm

I've always found it mildly amusing that all the "new" pubs in Cumbernauld were named after birds. Don't know why that's funny, but it is.
The Jack Snipe
The Twa Corbies
The Woodcutter
The Red Common
The Kestrel
err....
Alter Aterius Auxilio Veget
Cyclo2000
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby John » Thu Mar 22, 2007 4:14 pm

Cyclo2000 wrote:I've always found it mildly amusing that all the "new" pubs in Cumbernauld were named after birds. Don't know why that's funny, but it is.
The Jack Snipe
The Twa Corbies
The Woodcutter
The Red Common
The Kestrel
err....

I have had a few very good nights in The Jack Snipe.
'It's a sad day for capitalism when a man can't fly a midget on a kite over Central Park'
John
-
-

Next

Return to Around the World