What is it? Toward/Innellan

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

What is it? Toward/Innellan

Postby Apollo » Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:25 pm

Here's the aerial view:-

http://local.live.com/default.aspx?v=2& ... &alt=-1000

Found while searching for known WWII remains in the area, I haven't had the chance to wander round for a closer look, and the locals I know from nearby have no idea what it is either.

The north eastern section is clearly some sort of radio related installation with a number of aerial masts, a building and some other bases at regular intervals.

To the south east there are three circular areas, the two smaller ones are overgrown, and there appears to be a wall or similar running between them. The larger circle appears to be maintained clear of undergrowth, with some sort of radial pattern visible within it, and a further clear area on its southern perimeter.

Probably innocent, but would be nice to know what it is.
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby J0HN » Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:30 pm

It was a coastal battery site in WW2, it says it all here

http://ads.ahds.ac.uk/catalogue/specCol ... EFNO=15277
J0HN
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Apollo » Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:20 pm

Yes, but this isn't the site of the coastal battery. It (and others) were elsewhere:
Found while searching for known WWII remains in the area

http://www.secretscotland.org.uk/index. ... teryToward
http://www.secretscotland.org.uk/index. ... OfInterest

The Royal Navy is said to be the owner of the radio station there.

The batteries don't make into the hi-res imagery area unfortunately. There are other further to north, but they have been lost, and there are no remains. There are many buildings remaining from the coastal battery though, worthy of a visit for anyone interested.

The circular structures are the 'unknowns', and don't relate to any known battery structures, war or post-war. They're possibly innocent, but curious nonetheless until identified.is

Another local has just told us there was a Z Battery (rocket firing) in the area, and there don't seem to any official mentions of this in the usual sources, but he also described it in operation while test firing, so he seems credible, even though there's no record (yet?).
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Apollo » Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:22 pm

While suffering a Sun moment when the blindingly obvious hit home, I realised the aerial image tied in with separate paper/OS mapping of the spot concerned, and this gave the game away.

The circular areas are the view of vertical antenna installations when viewed from almost directly above.

Whether or not the antennae themselves still exist (I'm assuming they're somewhat taller than the usual tower style) still remains to be seen as the result of wander up the hillside sometime, to see if the circular areas are just the remaining evidence of their past existence.
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: What is it? Toward/Innellan

Postby bullwood » Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:46 am

Hi guys, John sorry mate but the building on the hill thats still standing was not a WWIIbattery site at all. Apollo your correct in saying that the circular patterns were antennae's they have long since been removed.
bullwood
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Apollo » Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:21 pm

Thanks for the reminder, I'd forgotten that I hadn't posted back with the details of the site after it was better identified.

The info has been listed, and there also some recent pics of the site here:

http://www.secretscotland.org.uk/index. ... dioStation
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby bullwood » Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:18 am

Thanks for the link Apollo, i read them both with great delight, i found the toward site most amusing with the local rumours that it was a traing camp for spies!! :D the funny thing is i know the man who started that rumour along with some others, my particular favourite is when one of local older ladies who lived next door to the C.O. running the trasmiter site enquired to what the station actually did, the C.O. looked around him to ensure it was safe to tell all the secrets and proceeded to tell her that they were there with the sole purpose of stopping all the pirates from entering the clyde.
she looked puzzled for a while and said in all her years of living on the clyde she had never seen or heard of any pirates in or near toward.
The C.O. replied that they were obviously doing a fantastic job down then ::):
Thanks again Apollo, it was really good to see some pictures of the station and the point it brought back some fantastic memories of the place. :wink:
bullwood
Just settling in
Just settling in

Return to Around the World