Needing some Info on some Hidden Hamilton - Almada Street

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby Molendinar » Thu Oct 20, 2005 9:28 pm

really amazing find!

Always been fascinated by those buildings and how they've managed to stay derelict this long...
"What is the good of being a genius if you cannot use it as an excuse for being unemployed?"
Molendinar
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Re: oh well

Postby tip2tail » Fri Oct 21, 2005 10:45 pm

excoriate wrote:I was wondering when the old ABC would kop it :(

Flats?

Well - you would think that having a look around the rest of this beautiful town. ;-)

However - this piece of land along with the "temp car park" on the other side of Townhead Street where the Odeon sat has been earmarked for an extension on the Regent Shopping Centre since I used to work in one of the shops in said centre.

The plan has always been for the door from the centre (beside the bogs corridor) to the car park would become a link to the new centre. The Regent owners pulled out but in the last few weeks another developer has aggreed to take the project on and still lik the two centres. The new shopping centre will cover the whole of the "Odeon" car park, cut accross Townhead Streetand through the ABC. It will have a multi storey on top of it as well.

I have this on VERY good authority that Tesco will open as the main tenant here.

I hope this goes ahead as - together with the recent ongoing refurbishment/extension of the New Cross Centre - will actually make Hamilton have some decent shops.

Mark
tip2tail
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby nodrog » Sun Oct 23, 2005 2:56 pm

Right, as promised, I've uploaded the first of two full photo surveys - this one is of the Hamilton Regal / ABC.

The detailed history is here:
http://www.chem.gla.ac.uk/~gbarr/cinema ... index.html

...or you scan skip directly to the main gallery page here:

The La Scala / Gaumont / Vogue survey should follow later in the week!

Gordon
"I'd just move on to the 'hot-air ballooning vigilante' stage of my career earlier than planned"

www.scottishcinemas.org.uk
www.twitter.com/scottishcinemas
nodrog
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby nodrog » Wed Oct 26, 2005 9:52 pm

...and as promised, the La Scala gallery is now online at:

http://www.chem.gla.ac.uk/~gbarr/cinema ... cala/tour/

The full detailed history page is now up as well at:

nodrog
"I'd just move on to the 'hot-air ballooning vigilante' stage of my career earlier than planned"

www.scottishcinemas.org.uk
www.twitter.com/scottishcinemas
nodrog
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby nuttytigger » Tue Apr 18, 2006 10:54 am

Back to the County Buildings :) -

I see they have started lighting the side of the eyesore in bright white lights!

they started it at Christmas but i just remembered about this thread, at the moment tho there is only one side of it working - the Bell College side.

Don't know when they go on at night but they are switched off at 11pm
nuttytigger
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Vladimir » Tue Apr 18, 2006 11:00 am

Send us a photo of your house please nuttytigger, I want to compare it in terms of overall beauty to the council building.
Vladimir
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Ally Doll » Tue Apr 18, 2006 11:19 am

nuttytigger wrote:Back to the County Buildings :) -

I see they have started lighting the side of the eyesore in bright white lights!

they started it at Christmas but i just remembered about this thread, at the moment tho there is only one side of it working - the Bell College side.

Don't know when they go on at night but they are switched off at 11pm

It does shine like a beacon across Lanarkshire, I'm waiting for the Party symbols to be attached to the side... :roll: :wink:

Kidding aside, I'm not too bothered by it. Lots of work has been done on the building and it does look a lot better these days. I like the paddling pool outside.

:)
Ally Doll
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby nuttytigger » Tue Apr 18, 2006 3:37 pm

Vladimir wrote:Send us a photo of your house please nuttytigger, I want to compare it in terms of overall beauty to the council building.

look in any old larkhall books and my house is in there - 200 years old, and not needed a thing done to it

County Building: 40yrs(ish) old and needed work done - its also hackitt!!
nuttytigger
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Vladimir » Tue Apr 18, 2006 6:40 pm

I havent seen it yet though ::): Nah, Im just defending the place I think theres a bit too much 60's phobia about at the moment. Its surely not as bad as the plastic tree over in Motherwell...
Vladimir
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Bostock and Wombwell

Postby Linda » Sun Aug 13, 2006 3:33 pm

Hello,

Back to the wonderful finds at La Scala in Keith St posted by Gap74...I just posted on http://www.thegalloper.com and told the Bostock and Wombwell folk about the photos. This is a great website for circus,fairground,musichall,entertainer and steam locomotive enthusiasts.

You mentioned other posters and that they were recorded photographically. Can you tell me where they can be viewed. That would be great . Thanks

Linda
Linda
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby gap74 » Sun Aug 13, 2006 4:57 pm

Hi Linda,

Click on this link to go to our La Scala history page. There's a link right at the very bottom that'll take you to the full photo survey, the posters are at the bottom of that page.

Gary
gap74
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Bostock and Wombwell

Postby Linda » Sun Aug 13, 2006 5:47 pm

Hi Gary,
Thank you for that! What a great site...I must direct the folk at thegalloper to that too as a number of their ancestors were in the cinema business !
Thanks
Linda
Linda
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby gap74 » Sun Aug 13, 2006 5:58 pm

No worries Linda - Bostock actually ran theatres and cinemas as well as the circuses, including one in Hamilton itself, the Hippodrome, which opened in 1907, but was destroyed by fire in 1946. Here's a pic of it, as well as a wee potted history:

Gary
gap74
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Linda » Mon Aug 14, 2006 1:29 am

Fantastic!!! I don't suppose you know of anywhere that keeps a record of other bill posters for circuses etc. ?

Thanks!
Linda
Linda
First Stripe
First Stripe

Re: oh well

Postby Alan L » Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:36 am

tip2tail wrote:
excoriate wrote:I was wondering when the old ABC would kop it :(

Flats?

Well - you would think that having a look around the rest of this beautiful town. ;-)

However - this piece of land along with the "temp car park" on the other side of Townhead Street where the Odeon sat has been earmarked for an extension on the Regent Shopping Centre since I used to work in one of the shops in said centre.

The plan has always been for the door from the centre (beside the bogs corridor) to the car park would become a link to the new centre. The Regent owners pulled out but in the last few weeks another developer has aggreed to take the project on and still lik the two centres. The new shopping centre will cover the whole of the "Odeon" car park, cut accross Townhead Streetand through the ABC. It will have a multi storey on top of it as well.

I have this on VERY good authority that Tesco will open as the main tenant here.

I hope this goes ahead as - together with the recent ongoing refurbishment/extension of the New Cross Centre - will actually make Hamilton have some decent shops.

Mark

I'm looking out my front windae at this very site and can exclusively reveal that....

.... it's still a car park. :(

Until I read this thread, I'd forgotten the the Odeon even stood on that site, despite it being my cinema of choice before Coatbridge got one of it's own. This wee bit of Hamilton (Townhead/Keith St) lets the town down badly, especially given the work thet's went on elsewhere in the town centre.
Alan L
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Previous

Return to Around the World