Edinburgh

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Edinburgh

Postby My Kitten » Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:20 am

Great wee story, i was like oh i never saw that then read that its gone :(

Was thru stockbridge at the weekend - some nice pubs and grub places there - defo need a wee hidden tour!
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Shardonnay » Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:29 pm

A wee hidden tour sounds good :)
Shardonnay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:28 pm

West Mill, Dean Village:
The date 1805 on its facade refers to a re-building, for there were mills here much earlier. It has been converted into flats. The built-up circular apertures on the mill once gave ventilation to the grain floors. The mill-lade ran under the building below the main entrance and returned to the river by the two arched recesses on the water frontage.

View of West Mill and Water of Leith Bridge etc, from the east. By Alexander Archer 1837

Undated view of Dean showing West Mill, Dean School, Old Tolbooth, 17 Bell's Brae and Water of Leith.
By H D Wyllie.

9 Randolph Place, Queensferry Rd:

T Duncan Rhind, circa 1900. 2-storey and attic 2-bay gabled town house with shop at ground, predominantly of Elizabethan half-timbered style, with classical and Art Nouveau details. Stugged, squared and snecked cream sandstone with polished ashlar dressings at ground, half-timbered upper floor and gables with red sandstone ashlar dressings, brick stack to north gable.

Now a restuarant:
http://www.list.co.uk/r/www.laptitefolie.co.uk

Water of Leith, Stockbridge:

Danube St. Stockbridge

Danube St, Stockbridge:
Home of the infamous brothel:
http://news.scotsman.com/edinburghssexindustry/Nights-at-citys-blue-Danube.2686533.jp
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Shardonnay » Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:39 pm

Cracking post H H . I love the Dean Village and Stockbridge :)
Shardonnay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Lucky Poet » Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:21 pm

Excellent stuff - I'd wondered about that mill. Love the Water of Leith photo too.

Sticking with Stockbridge, here's one of my favourite buildings in Edinburgh, St Stephen's Church at the foot of St Vincent Street, courtesy of William Henry Playfair (who also left us New College, the National Monument on Calton Hill, and both of the gallery buildings on the Mound). Finished in 1828, and looking good for its age:

Much altered inside apparently, but hey.

HollowHorn wrote:Undated view of Dean showing West Mill, Dean School, Old Tolbooth, 17 Bell's Brae and Water of Leith.
By H D Wyllie.

Just thinking, it's actually a shame the trees have grown up so much there now, blocking that view.
All the world seems in tune on a Spring afternoon, when we're poisoning pigeons in the park.
Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby My Kitten » Sat Sep 12, 2009 3:57 am

Lucky Poet wrote:Excellent stuff - I'd wondered about that mill. Love the Water of Leith photo too.

Sticking with Stockbridge, here's one of my favourite buildings in Edinburgh, St Stephen's Church at the foot of St Vincent Street, courtesy of William Henry Playfair (who also left us New College, the National Monument on Calton Hill, and both of the gallery buildings on the Mound). Finished in 1828, and looking good for its age:

Passed that at the weekend, it's very impossing but cracking. (nice wee pub across the road too)
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fossil » Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:27 pm

oooh nice
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby invy » Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:50 pm

My Kitten wrote:
Was thru stockbridge at the weekend - some nice pubs and grub places there - defo need a wee hidden tour!

I'd be up for that! It's a lovely meandering wander round about Stockbridge and the Dean Village, especially if you get a nice day!

Anyhoo, an Edinburgh piccy from me...

That'll be Fife I can see from the window :)
invy
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Lucky Poet » Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:03 pm

A wose! How womatic.

(Nice selective thingummy. Is that Duddingston Kirk?)
All the world seems in tune on a Spring afternoon, when we're poisoning pigeons in the park.
Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby Lucky Poet » Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:06 pm

From the archives...
Picturesque and full up with historicalness and all that (if you ignore those damned cranes):

I missed one photo of my wee bronze goose (R.I.P.) in very, very high water, btw:

Yon church again:
Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby invy » Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:21 pm

Lucky Poet wrote:A wose! How womatic.

(Nice selective thingummy. Is that Duddingston Kirk?)

This wasn't just any wose, this was a wed, wed wose ::): Many thanks though re the pic, it's appreciated!

It's Corstorphine Old Church, had a few wanders around it on the outside and we got inside that day, it's well worth a visit, the church is huge inside and has great history! I took this pic when we were waiting for the custodian to arrive, I'm sure a quick google search will dig up the access times or gimme a shout (can't do it right now as the mate who knows is stuck on a plane somewhere - jetlag here we come :) ::):

ETA - your Edinburgh pics are lovely - it's easy to forget what surrounds us at times :)
invy
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby My Kitten » Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:33 pm

invy you oot on friday? or edinburgering?
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Shardonnay » Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:48 pm

Corstorphine Old Parish Church is just up the road from me. Nice pic :D
Shardonnay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby invy » Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:45 am

Thanks Shardonnay! Corstorphine's lovely, often enjoy a couple of hours there.

My Kitten wrote:invy you oot on friday? or edinburgering?

Stuck with family duties - gaaaah... :(
invy
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Edinburgh Trams Project, Waverley & More From Yesterday

Postby jonno22 » Sun Oct 04, 2009 1:21 pm

Hi all. I was in company of a friend yesterday and we decided to spend the entire day down in the city of Edinburgh. It gave me a chance to capture update photographs of the Edinburgh Trams Project and much more which is explained and linked to below.

Edinburgh Trams Project - Heavy construction work is taking place right the way along Princes Street with tram rail already laid which will be on going process over the next few weeks by the looks of things with lots of road digging also. Photographs with captions and the entire project collection can be found in the link below

Edinburgh Trams Project Photographs
http://jonathanmcgurk.fotopic.net/etp
http://www.linkedin.com/pub/jonathan-mcgurk/6/663/19a
jonno22
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Around the World