Giffen Station

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby Alycidon » Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:03 am

Strictly speaking this is a class 311 (311103 to be precise). Built by the Cravens Company of Sheffield as the Pressed Steel company of Paisley, who had built the 303s, had ceased trading. They were structurally almost identical to the Class 303 sets. The first of the new batch was delivered in July 1966 and featured fluorescent lighting The traction motors were air-cooled from ducts positioned well above rail level to avoid the ingress of brake dust into the motors. The 311s could be easily discerned from the 303s by these additional bodyside vents on the Motor cars. In view of the steep gradients on the new routes, particularly the Weymss Bay Branch, 222hp Metropolitan Vickers traction motors were fitted in place of the original 207hp motors fitted to the 303s.
311103 was converted to a Sandite unit (to spray an abrasive gel in known areas of low rail adhesion.) and numbered 939103 in November 1991. Now Preserved at Summerlee Heritage Park.
Alycidon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Renfrew Ross » Mon Apr 24, 2006 1:03 pm

The moment I posted it was a 303, the thought of "could it have been one of the 311's" did come across my mind.

It was dismissed on the grounds of there were more 303's in existance than 311's so the I had probability on my side, but alas, I was wrong.
Renfrew Ross
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby MotoMad » Mon Apr 24, 2006 5:01 pm

saw this last night (one at summerlee) up there doin a wee fotieshoot thing (http://devilworksinc.com/pix/index.cgi? ... an-AlanCar)
crusty_bint wrote: i.e. they're not a bawhair away from Dickensian!
MotoMad
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Pgcc93 » Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:12 pm

Alycidon wrote:Strictly speaking this is a class 311 (311103 to be precise). Built by the Cravens Company of Sheffield as the Pressed Steel company of Paisley.......... Now Preserved at Summerlee Heritage Park.

You know your stuff Alcy! 8)

I've bunged this composite together I think you'll recognise it ::):

There was also a twin unit no. 104 as the Sandite trains worked on the North Clyde lines as well. Corkerhill Depot Serviced the units by providing the Sandite material and Shields Depot maintained them.

Prior to the 311's being converted the work was carried out by either converted DMU's and specialy fitted class 37's. Formerly starting from Eastfield Depot or Motherwell two runs to Beatock and back was ball buster and the Standby Loco at Carstairs Junction that provided assistance for any trains encountering excessive wheelslip problems on the notorious 16 mile climb up to Beatock Summit was a life sentence if you landed that particular job.

Now it's all done by hi-tech MPV's and 37's hauling high pressure water jets and sandite applicators.

All this due to 'leaves on the Line' every Autumn.
Pgcc93
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Alycidon » Tue Apr 25, 2006 7:38 pm

PGcc93 wrote:I've bunged this composite together I think you'll recognise it

Great Stuff!!

How about sending me copies of these two shots and I will bung them on the 303/311 tribute pages on Lowland Locomotives. http://www.jhowie.force9.co.uk/303tributepage1.htm
Alycidon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Giffen to Kilbirnie Line

Postby bill46 » Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:32 am

Sir Roger DeLodgerley wrote:
Alycidon wrote: The branch to Glengarnock was closed as far back as 1930.

Not quite, Aly, Kilbirnie South station was closed and the passenger service over the branch withdrawn in 1930 but the line remained open for freight workings as far as Glengarnock until 1945. There is a picture of the closed Kilbirnie South station from 1936 in the book "Lost Railways of Ayrshire and Renfrewshire"

The Caledonian Railway timetable from 1921 shows 10 workings a day between Kilbirnie South and Giffen with 8 of those meeting connections to Glasgow Central. Someone has noted "suspended" against the first train in each direction but without a date sadly.

It was very interesting reading the comments about the Giffen to Kilbirnie line. As a boy I stayed in a row of cottages beside the line and about 200 yards from the Brackenhills Station which was on the same line. I remember the rails being removed and the demolition of the bridge that carried the railway over the Powgree burn. I think this would be about 1953/54. The Station masters cottage still remains today as a private dwelling and there are remnants of the platform although completely overgrown.
I am writting a book (not commercial) about my life during the time I stayed at the cottages and was interested to read of the amount of traffic that was on the line at one time. Would it be possible for me to see the time table of 1921 so I could include the information in my book. I would also be pleased to receive any other relevant information on the line.
thank you.
Bill
bill46
Just settling in
Just settling in

Re: Giffen Station

Postby bill46 » Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:47 am

maxpower wrote:Hey guys, long shot but does anyone have any pictures/photographs of Giffen Station in Ayrshire from when it was operational? I've visited the station a couple of times in the last few months and I'd be interested in seeing what it looked like in it's heyday.

Would appreciate anything anyone has! :)

There are two photographs of Giffen Station in the book"Yesterday's Beith - A Pictorial Guide" ISBN 0 9522720 5 9 by Donald Reid and Isobel F. Monahan. One shows seven staff members sitting beside the station name laid out in large letters, possible brass, on the grass verge beside the line. The second shows the platform ,waiting rooms and bridges over the lines. The son of the Station Master Mr. Haining still resides in Beith. You could try contacting Mr. Reid on 10505 503801 for further help.

Bill
bill46
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby maxpower » Sat Sep 23, 2006 10:41 pm

bill46 wrote:There are two photographs of Giffen Station in the book"Yesterday's Beith - A Pictorial Guide" ISBN 0 9522720 5 9 by Donald Reid and Isobel F. Monahan. One shows seven staff members sitting beside the station name laid out in large letters, possible brass, on the grass verge beside the line. The second shows the platform ,waiting rooms and bridges over the lines.

Thanks for that, managed to find a copy of the book in the library, great picture!
maxpower
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Giffen house

Postby LVGiffen » Sat Sep 30, 2006 6:02 pm

I was looking through my genealogy site and found that there is a photo of my ancestral home. It is said to be a mile from Giffen Station. The Giffen House is what I am referring to. The photo is from 1928, and was wondering if anyone has any information exactly where it is and if it is still standing. Also, if anyone could post a more current photo of it, I would appreciate it. Thanks.
LVGiffen
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby maxpower » Sat Sep 30, 2006 7:28 pm

Funnily enough it looks like someone took a picture of Giffen House last week, you can see it here (although it is from a distance). Also, here is a map with the exact position of the house. It's about 1.5 miles west from Giffen Station, and about 3 or 4 miles east of Dalry, Ayrshire.
maxpower
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Re: Giffen House photos

Postby LVGiffen » Sun Oct 01, 2006 5:12 am

Thank you SO much for the links. I was fairly sure it was still there, but only about 90% sure. It still looks in great shape.
LVGiffen
Just settling in
Just settling in

giffen line

Postby bill46 » Thu Oct 05, 2006 9:58 am

To all who may be interested there is an excellent article, including photographs, on the construction and demolition of the famous Giffen Viaduct at http://www.beith.org
bill46
Just settling in
Just settling in

Gree Viaduct

Postby maxpower » Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:00 pm

Bit of a bump, but thought it might be worth mentioning that the Gree Viaduct, mentioned much earlier in the thread, is about to be demolished. After umming and erring for 5 years looks like BRB has finally decided to get rid of it. A road for the workers has been built, and the viaduct is expected to be completely gone by the middle of February.

Taken today:
maxpower
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby arthuy » Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:23 pm

I drove by this viaduct last week and noticed the bulldozers were almost finished.

Had a better look today and it is gone.

:cry:
arthuy
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby gap74 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:08 pm

Dirty sods!

FIrst spotted this viaduct on the way to a mate's wedding in Montgreenan in September. Researched it when I got home, discovered it was both B-listed and had been under threat of demolition for years, on the grounds that it was supposedly unsafe.

Made mental note to get along for some pics before it went. Alas....

Listing entry here:

http://hsewsf.sedsh.gov.uk/hslive/hsstart?P_HBNUM=904

1903 - very early indeed for a concrete structure on this scale.
gap74
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Around the World