All from the Brodie Park Area
Original Coal Bunker

Original Stairhead Lav's
Put to good use
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Sat Oct 22, 2005 4:52 pm

Nice pics HH, what does the tenement look like externally? I don't recall seeing many old stair-head bogs in Glasgow's tenements, suppose we lost them in the CDA era?

Cheers :)
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby viceroy » Sat Oct 22, 2005 6:55 pm

I reckon there are quite a few stairhead bogs still around in Glasgow, Crusty, probably more than you might think. Most 3 flats to a landing tenements [and there are still a lot of those around] have a toilet on the half landing belonging to the middle flat. The toilets are now used as storerooms since almost inevitably the middle flat has been plumbed for a toilet and shower/bath at some time in the past. But I bet you that a lot of them still have the sanitaryware in situ. Up till about 8 years ago I lived up a close in Middleton St. in Ibrox in which the middle flats had this arrangement and I know that this close hasn't been touched since I left. I'm sure there are still plenty of closes in existence which have a similar set-up.

These look like nice closes by the way HH. Well looked after. Good to see that.
viceroy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby AlanM » Sun Oct 23, 2005 10:23 am

Some survived in Partick as well, I know of one in the first close in White St, on the ground floor uder the stairs and it was still there and operational after the Partick Housing Association refurbed the block (I used to deliver papers there when I was young)
AlanM
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby desto » Mon Nov 07, 2005 4:41 pm

brodie park! ahh the days of pitch an putt! then running like hell fae rape gangs that patrol that area! is the street still cobbles?went over it while ago in ma old car that was lowerd 70mm! NEVA AGAIN!
desto
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Wed Nov 09, 2005 12:02 am

View from the outside, Crusty. Sorry Desto, the cobbles have been tarred over in this particular case,
though there are still plenty of cobbled streets around Paisley.

Wee bit special, eh?
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:35 pm

Gorgeous! :D
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby viceroy » Wed Nov 09, 2005 6:41 pm

A feast for the eyes indeed. Feel like selling up and moving over there immediately. Is this the only block like this in the area HH or are there more? And what's the average asking price for one of the flats? Bet you it's a fraction of what you'd have to pay in Hyndland or anywhere else in the West End.
viceroy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Sat Nov 19, 2005 9:28 pm

To my knowledge, no other Tenements exist in Paisley to match Brodie
Park, I could be wrong though.

2 bedrooms, 1 reception room, 1 bathroom - Offers in excess of £120,000

This traditional tenement flat with preferred first floor position is located on Brodie Park Avenue, directly opposite Brodie Park. The flat therefore offers open views directly onto the park and in addition the property has been comprehensively upgraded throughout and is offered to the market place in excellent order.

The accommodation in full comprises main door security entry giving access to a smart communal close and stairway, private entrance vestibule, spacious reception hallway with two walk in storage cupboards, bay window lounge with feature fire place and living flame coal effect gas fire, superb re-fitted dining kitchen with integrated stainless steel oven, hob and canopy style hood and with a raised designated dining area with feature brick wall, two double sized bedrooms and refitted bathroom with three piece white suite and shower over bath.
The specification of the property includes gas central heating and double glazing to all window formations.
This flat is freshly decorated throughout and floor coverings include laminate flooring in the reception hallway and dining area of the kitchen with tiled flooring in the kitchen area. In addition there are chrome low voltage down lighters in the kitchen and bathroom.
Early internal inspection of this property is recommended in order to appreciate the accommodation, superior presentation and excellent open views onto Brodie Park.
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby desto » Sat Dec 03, 2005 5:53 pm

just beware of the weed smoking badgers!
desto
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby ghiribizzo » Mon Dec 05, 2005 11:17 pm

Good photos. I had a flat in Southpark (yes, chortle chortle...) Drive about 20 years ago.
When we got it, the 'factor' was selling it as the old biddy that had been in it had passed away in a home I believe and the flat had been empty for years. The original fireplaces and surrounds were there, the range was away, converted in the '60s and then never renovated. The Belfast sink was still in with side mounted taps on the wall.
I got an 'Argyll' range from a flat in Yorkhill to go back in. A backbreaking task.
The kitchen was huge, with boxbed space as well. Likewise in the lounge. The bedrooms are also relatively big with fireplaces mounted in the corners, not in the wall - a big flat area on top.
The bathroom was galley-like but a huge iron bath, after a bath the water would dry off quickly and the cat would lie in the bath getting the heat off the metal. The bathroom had a 'St. Mungo' chain pull cistern and also a vestibule big enough to hold a washing machine etc before you passed into the toilet/bath area.
There was also a sizeable walk-in cupboard, all the electric fuses etc were still in wooden, glazed boxes. This was presumably also used way back as a waiting area for a maid as the rooms had working electric bells and a little indicator unit that had a solenoid flag indicator so you could see in which room the bell-push had been used.

The downside was that many of the flats around then started suffering horrendous dry rot, to the extent that they needed all the joists and floors out.
Another weirdo thing was that as they'd been re-plumbed to remove lead pipes (the lead outlets still there) the flat we had was plumbed very roughly beacause no one was there to check I guess. One day we found no hot water. Yep. Downstairs hot water tank had ended up being fed from ours but as the flat was empty, they were none the wiser at that stage!
She+me split up and flat was sold. £32,000 I recall. :?

The corner entrances at Brodie Park and both sides of Southpark Drive are different designs; the stonework above the closes in the streets differ as well. The flats at the corner closes are also different in layout and size.
The architects were Salmond I'm sure.
ghiribizzo
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Ally Doll » Tue Jul 04, 2006 9:40 pm

Not sure if this is the right place for these pictures of Paisley West End, but thought the buildings are much nicer than the shops around them...

Ally Doll
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Sat Apr 14, 2007 10:33 pm

HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Sat Apr 14, 2007 10:35 pm

Good to see they've dressed appropriately for the Paisley micro-climate.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Sat Apr 14, 2007 10:44 pm

& the horse you rode in on, J-man. ::):
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Next

Return to Around the World