Leeds

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Leeds

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:07 am

floweredpig wrote:Is that your taxi driver who takes you to school?

No he went to school in a grey bus.
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby mrsam » Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:39 pm

rabmania wrote:Image

The building in the centre of the picture is Leeds Bridge House, built about 1880 as a Temperance Hotel by John James Cousins, a Leeds banker. The hotel closed in 1900, and since then it has had a variety of uses. It was bought by Leeds City Council in 1960, and scheduled for demolition, but was reprieved and refurbished as offices in 1981. The strange shape of the building reflects the restricted space available on the site.

Looks like a copy / tribute to the New York Flatiron building
(Pic from Wikipedia) That is built in a wedge or iron shape due to limited space

Mr Sam
Hmmm I wonder what happens if i press that lever.... Ahh It operates that shiny new plug socket!

www..photobucket.com/albums/ll103/thecuriocollector

www..photobucket.com/albums/v195/tarbat2003
mrsam
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby floweredpig » Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:43 pm

Or the building at Eglinton Toll that houses the Star Bar?
floweredpig
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby lord lucan » Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:18 pm

well thats done it for me, the Leeds Bridge House, I've just told the good lady to cancel world cruise, were off to Leeds. To be honest not one single picture in this gallery has altered my opinion of that dump, tacky victorian slap architecture, brass plates? canal locks, horrid municiple crap 'artwork', and a skyline that would depress you.
Still lucan for me
lord lucan
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby mrsam » Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:27 pm

lord lucan wrote:well thats done it for me, the Leeds Bridge House, I've just told the good lady to cancel world cruise, were off to Leeds. To be honest not one single picture in this gallery has altered my opinion of that dump, tacky victorian slap architecture, brass plates? canal locks, horrid municiple crap 'artwork', and a skyline that would depress you.

Yet you chose to live near and associate with Glasgow 'tacky victorian slap architecture, brass plates? canal locks, horrid municiple crap 'artwork', and a skyline that would depress you' but with a different accent. The similarities are astounding....

Have fun on the world tour and send us a postcard please (and a tacky souvenier for the HG mantlepiece(that gives me an Idea for another thread ::): ....))

Mr Sam
Hmmm I wonder what happens if i press that lever.... Ahh It operates that shiny new plug socket!

mrsam
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:57 pm

Lord Lucan lives in a garage near the mearns. Arden or Nitshill. it's handy for his employment as a greeter in Aldi.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby lord lucan » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:12 pm

Dexter St. Clair wrote:Lord Lucan lives in a garage near the mearns. Arden or Nitshill. it's handy for his employment as a greeter in Aldi.

Howdy dexy still on the medication?
Still lucan for me
lord lucan
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby lord lucan » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:17 pm

mrsam wrote:
lord lucan wrote:well thats done it for me, the Leeds Bridge House, I've just told the good lady to cancel world cruise, were off to Leeds. To be honest not one single picture in this gallery has altered my opinion of that dump, tacky victorian slap architecture, brass plates? canal locks, horrid municiple crap 'artwork', and a skyline that would depress you.

Yet you chose to live near and associate with Glasgow 'tacky victorian slap architecture, brass plates? canal locks, horrid municiple crap 'artwork', and a skyline that would depress you' but with a different accent. The similarities are astounding....

Have fun on the world tour and send us a postcard please (and a tacky souvenier for the HG mantlepiece(that gives me an Idea for another thread ::): ....))

Mr Sam

Glasgow's smiles better in so many ways, it's the absurd idea that your trying to promote Leeds as some world cultural centre of excellence, by the way does leeds tourist (ha ha ha) know what your doing???
Still lucan for me
lord lucan
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:57 pm

lord lucan wrote:

Glasgow's smiles better in so many ways, it's the absurd idea that your trying to promote Leeds as some world cultural centre of excellence, by the way does leeds tourist (ha ha ha) know what your doing???

I do hope your pater got a refund on what he spent on your education.

lord lucan wrote:
Brilliant.. was always scared that the old Safeway site would be took over by some horrid cheapo store like aldi,Lidl,etc., attracting riff raff, scroungers, and doleys to wonderful old giffy. Come to think of it wouldn't woolworths in shawlands make a super site for these cheapo's, or does shawlands have too many pound shops now?

How to use commas.

The wandering apostrophe
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby mrsam » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:02 pm

lord lucan wrote:
mrsam wrote:

Mr Sam

Ignoring Dex :roll: .

The point that im trying to make is that both glasgow and leeds were places that 20 years ago were blighted by the loss of heavy industry and were down at heal (in parts). Both have now found new life in the 'shiny box' office age , yet retain some of the old victorian centres. The only main difference I can see is the accent, well that and the lack of a world class antiquarian museum (leeds has the armories but its only about guns...).

I respect yer point of view but I feel that too many people are too quick to wright of leeds ans people in scotland can do about Glasgow in favour of York and Edinburgh (respecivly).

The Debate continues...... 8)

Mr Sam

mrsam
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby lord lucan » Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:54 am

mrsam wrote:
lord lucan wrote:
mrsam wrote:

Mr Sam

Ignoring Dex :roll: .

The point that im trying to make is that both glasgow and leeds were places that 20 years ago were blighted by the loss of heavy industry and were down at heal (in parts). Both have now found new life in the 'shiny box' office age , yet retain some of the old victorian centres. The only main difference I can see is the accent, well that and the lack of a world class antiquarian museum (leeds has the armories but its only about guns...).

I respect yer point of view but I feel that too many people are too quick to wright of leeds ans people in scotland can do about Glasgow in favour of York and Edinburgh (respecivly).

The Debate continues...... 8)

Mr Sam

I admire your dedication in defending Leeds, however if I went out with a camera to capture the best bits of Glasgow to promote as a great city, I would not have an entire photo album which would only be appreciated by the likes of Roy Cropper from Coronation street
Still lucan for me
lord lucan
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Lucky Poet » Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:02 pm

I enjoyed them. Where are your photos then, Cartier-Bresson?
All the world seems in tune on a Spring afternoon, when we're poisoning pigeons in the park.
Lucky Poet
-
-

Previous

Return to Around the World