Weir's Way

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby ramor69 » Tue Jul 18, 2006 12:22 pm

Flash_Andy wrote:Anyone know, how many episodes of Weir's Way where made?

You can get a Weirs Way box set of 5dvds, (series1-5),
which runs at approx 7.5 hours. Don't know if this is
every episode made though.
We're in the stickiest situation since Sticky the Stick Insect got stuck on a sticky bun.
ramor69
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Articles by Tom Weir

Postby peter » Tue Jul 18, 2006 7:59 pm

As a reader of the Scots Mag for a long time I have copies dating back to the 1950s. Tom Weir seemed to start writing articles in it in the early 60s I think. Prior to then a few others contributed stories. One of these was Lea McNally who was also an outdoor writer. I think he was a naturalist and worked as a ghillie around Fort Augustus. However Weir took over writing his My Month slot and it is interesting to see how the Scottish scenery and life has changes in over for decades. I would copy some of his stuff here but not sure about copyright and how best to do so. Any ideas. Also I would suggest that Glasgow should raise a statue to the Wee Man. If they put one up of yon Prick Dewar then Weir deserves one more so![/i]
"I've seen them come and I've seen them go. And I've seen them Die"
peter
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Flash_Andy » Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:35 pm

ramor69 wrote:

You can get a Weirs Way box set of 5dvds, (series1-5),
which runs at approx 7.5 hours. Don't know if this is
every episode made though.

Surely there must be more than that, I have Weirs Way 1 DVD, with four episodes, there Must be more than 20 episodes (Discs1-5) :?
Flash_Andy
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Toby Dammit » Sat Dec 02, 2006 2:39 pm

How strange. I posted this once and then it vanished. Oh well. Take 2.

Scallopboy put this link up last night (locked thread) and it would be a shame to see it vanish, as there's lot of good Tom Weir programmes there:

http://www.scotlandontv.tv/scotlandontv/index.html

Even looks OK on fullscreen.
travel, films and stuff https://freakydog.wordpress.com/
Toby Dammit
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Field Marshall Shug » Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:22 am

I was watching a telly show about the Alexander Brothers or someone similar and they were in an old folks home and Tom Weir was one of the residents, briefly captured on camera. I think it was maybe in the Dumbarton area as a reverend from Bonhill was in the telly show.
Field Marshall Shug
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Location: Listening to Strawberry Switchblade on a burst sofa.

Postby Apollo » Sun Mar 11, 2007 3:45 pm

I was reminded of Tom Weir's programme, when he visited the Mining Museum and had a chat with the then curator, after reading that the museum would not open in 2007, due to lack of funding and ever increasing costs.

Understandably, the museum doesn't see many visitors, being remote, and located in Scotland's second highest village, but it's still not something that should be lost.

While it has submitted an application for Museums of Significance funding, that won't be decided one way or the other for some time. They did however, manage to win a life-line one-off payment from the Scottish Executive to maintain them until the funding decision is made.

A whole £30,000 to keep the museum going for 18 months - probably less than the council spends sending one fact-finding mission to look at Bullet Trains.

Re. the preceding post:

Tom Weir finally settled in Gartocharn, West Dunbartonshire. He died in the Sunningdale Retirement Home at Balloch (West Dunbartonshire), where he spent the last three years of his life. His sister, stage actress and writer Molly Weir (b.1910), passed away in 2004.
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Weir's Way

Postby Thelittlerich » Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:05 pm

Hey! I remember Weirs Way too! It was great wasn't it? Dead simple programming but so watchable!!

Did he ever take his bobble hat off?!

Toby Dammit wrote:How strange. I posted this once and then it vanished. Oh well. Take 2.
Scallopboy put this link up last night (locked thread) and it would be a shame to see it vanish, as there's lot of good Tom Weir programmes there:
http://www.scotlandontv.tv/scotlandontv/index.html
Even looks OK on fullscreen.

I found the page that has the videos of Weirs Way online, http://www.scotlandontv.tv/scotland_on_tv/video.html?Channel=SeeScot%20Weirs%20Way

You can watch them day or night! It really brought back some memories for me, there is even a memorial video when he passed away on there too.

I hope you enjoy the videos as much as I did!

- Richard.
Thelittlerich
Just settling in
Just settling in

Re:

Postby gwendle » Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:23 pm

Not enough :evil:
gwendle
First Stripe
First Stripe

Previous

Return to Around the World